Fall 2020 Communications Internship
Internship Coordination – Communications /
The Democratic Governors Association (DGA), the independent, non-profit, campaign committee responsible for electing and supporting Democratic governors, is seeking interns for the Fall 2020 term. The DGA works closely with the state and Washington, D.C. offices of the Democratic governors as well as many other national Democratic and progressive organizations.
DGA internships allow interested students to obtain practical political experience within the DGA Communications Department including policy and candidate research, monitoring and summarizing news clips related to governors and their policies, managing press and political contact information, drafting social media and e-mail content for eventual publication, and administrative support to the DGA staff who are responsible for working with the nation's Democratic governors and candidates to promote their agendas and position them to win campaigns.
DGA interns are assigned a variety of projects and tasks that support the DGA Communications, Research, Political, Digital, and Administrative staff.
The DGA recognizes that its continued success requires a group of hardworking, intelligent interns from diverse backgrounds during each term. The DGA is committed to ensuring equal opportunity to participate in the DGA internship program regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status.
The DGA strongly encourages individuals with a diverse background to apply to its internship program and to share why your demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working in diverse communities makes you a strong applicant as part of your cover letter.
By submitting your application, you hereby certify that the information set forth in your application is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. Any false or misleading information submitted during this application process is reasonable grounds for an internship to be terminated.
- Assist in the research of policy initiatives/outcomes of the Democratic governors and their opponents for use in campaign communications;
- Assist in media monitoring and the compilation of news articles pertaining to the political landscape of governors and gubernatorial candidates;
- Assist in the management of important databases such as press contacts and political contacts;
- Assist in the production of meeting materials for DGA staff and governors;
- Assist in drafting social media content for publication;
- Assist in greeting guests for meetings and answering/relaying incoming calls for DGA staff;
- Help with other special projects, assignments, and tasks as assigned by DGA Communications, Research, Political, Digital, and Administrative staff.
- Excellent punctuality and attendance;
- Good, professional verbal and written communication skills;
- Good and consistent attention to detail;
- Ability to cooperate and effectively communicate with a diverse staff and other interns;
- Ability to ask appropriate questions to gather information to complete a task on time and up to expectations;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.;
- Proficiency with other web tools such as Google Docs and using the internet as a reputable research tool;
- Strong commitment to the principles of the Democratic Party;
- Strong interest in current events and national/state/local campaigns and politics;
- For Fall terms, remote availability for a minimum of 20 hours per week is requested.
The DGA Internship Coordinator can work with selected interns and their school/program to obtain course credit for this internship.
For the Fall 2020 Term, DGA internships will be entirely remote and selected interns are provided a program stipend of $4,000. Housing is not provided. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter. Potential applicants who have an interest working on Democratic campaigns or supporting Democratic Campaigns are strongly encouraged to apply. No calls, please.