CANDIDATE SERVICES DESK
Washington, DC /
Political – Political /
The Democratic Governors Association (DGA), the campaign committee responsible for electing and supporting Democratic Governors, is seeking two Candidate Services Desks for the 2021/2022 cycle. These individuals will report to the DGA’s Political Director and work collaboratively with the DGA’s Senior Campaign Advisors to help gubernatorial campaigns improve their own fundraising programs. These positions will not be responsible for raising money for the campaigns or the DGA, but instead be charged with providing advice, support, and guidance to finance teams on campaigns so they maximize their own fundraising.
- Help finance directors analyze and improve their fundraising program – building staff and capacity, diagnosing problems, helping solve operational and personnel issues, and making sure Finance Directors are getting the most out of their staff.
- Think through challenges and opportunities of each race to help Finance Director plot their fundraising strategies effectively.
- Work with campaign managers as they seek to push their Finance Directors to raise as much money as possible, helping managers ask the right questions, and ensuring finance directors are sharing the right information with their managers.
- Collaborate with finance directors on realistic and appropriate goals and projections, making sure cashflow projections are accurate and allow campaign managers to properly budget and spend in final stretches.
- Assist finance directors as they work to get needed time, energy, and output from candidates in order to reach their goals.
- Identify and share best practices and common pitfalls across different campaigns.
- Work hand-in-hand with DGA Senior Campaign Advisors on budgeting, cashflow, and strategic spending in races; make sure campaign managers and Senior Campaign Advisors are aware of problems and are briefed on potential solutions.
- At least 2+ cycles of experience as Finance Director on campaigns, preference given to Governor’s race or other statewide races;
- Experience working with candidates and elected officials at high level;
- Understanding of how gubernatorial fundraising differs from federal races;
- Mastery over organizing and developing finance plans and fundraising projections;
- History of running call time operations, event programs, bundlers, finance committees, and using all available finance tools;
- Ability to communicate effectively with campaign managers and candidates on fundraising needs and way to improve a program;
- Flexibility to not think one-size-fits-all and know when compromise is needed to achieve goals;
- Confidence to think creatively about complex campaign problems and willingness to find unique solutions that fit each campaign’s specific needs;
- Willingness to travel to fulfill primary responsibilities when normal business travel resumes;
- Must be comfortable with long, irregular hours during peak seasons.
- Passion and commitment to Democratic candidates and causes;
- Ability to work well with a diverse staff with unique areas of expertise who are a part of other departments;
- Energy, flexible, collaborative, creative, and proactive;
- Extremely well-organized and detail oriented while moving in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to learn quickly and apply lessons to work product in real time.
- Interest in mentoring campaign finance staff and helping grow their professional development.
The DGA recognizes that its continued success requires a staff of hardworking, intelligent people from diverse backgrounds. The DGA is committed to ensuring equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status.
The DGA strongly encourages individuals with a diverse background to apply to this position and to share why your demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working in diverse communities makes you a strong applicant.
The DGA offices are based in downtown Washington, DC and we are currently in a remote work protocol due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The DGA will work with potential candidates to schedule remote interviews and process on-boarding procedures remotely, as necessary.
This position comes with full health care benefits and compensation is commensurate with the position and experience.