Washington, DC /
Communications – Press /
The Democratic Governors Association (DGA), the campaign committee responsible for electing and supporting Democratic governors, is seeking a Press Assistant for the 2023 election cycle. The Press Assistant is responsible for drafting talking points, advisories, and press releases; media monitoring; managing intern workload; and other daily communications office functions. As a member of the Communications Team, the Press Assistant reports directly to the Communications Director and closely collaborates with other members of the Communications Team to meet the DGA’s ambitious communications goals for the cycle.
The expected salary for this position is $45,000 annually before benefits and applicable withholdings.
This job posting will remain open until at least February 10, 2023, with candidates considered on a rolling basis. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter describing why you think you are the best candidate for this position at the DGA.
- Draft written press materials including news releases, talking points, briefings, and op-eds;
- Manage interns in daily clips process to monitor news and other tasks;
- Monitor and flag relevant breaking news to communications team members;
- Track incoming media inquiries and assist in outreach to news media;
- Help maintain press lists and distribute materials;
- Help with other assignments and tasks as assigned by the Communications Director.
- At least one cycle of experience either as an intern or as full-time staff in political communications or journalism;
- Excellent writing skills, including ability to write and edit on deadline;
- Extremely well-organized and detailed-oriented while moving in a fast-paced environment;
- Flexible, collaborative, creative, and proactive;
- Self-starter and willing to take initiative;
- Advanced project management skills – including the ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time;
- A strong interest in politics and a commitment to advancing the principles and goals of the nation’s Democratic governors.
The DGA recognizes that its continued success requires a staff of hardworking, intelligent people from diverse backgrounds. The DGA is committed to ensuring equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status.
The DGA strongly encourages individuals with a diverse background to apply to this position and to share why your demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working in diverse communities makes you a strong applicant as part of your cover letter.
The DGA offices are based in downtown Washington, DC and we are currently in a hybrid work protocol. The DGA will work with potential candidates to schedule remote interviews and process on-boarding procedures remotely, as necessary.
This position comes with 100% employer-paid health care for employee + spouse/partner + dependents, up to 4% 401(k) matching program, employer paid phone bill and other employee benefits.