National Press Secretary
Washington, DC /
Communications – Press /
The Democratic Governors Association (DGA), the campaign committee responsible for electing and supporting Democratic Governors, is seeking a National Press Secretary for the 2023-2024 cycle. The National Press Secretary is responsible for serving as an on-the-record spokesperson and primary contact with national and state media to advance the DGA’s press strategy and promote the important work of Democratic governors and the DGA.
As a member of the Communications Team, the National Press Secretary reports directly to the DGA’s Communications Director and closely collaborates with other members of the Communications Staff to meet the DGA’s ambitious Communications goals for the cycle.
We expect many well-qualified candidates to apply to this position, so please provide a resume and a thoughtful, one-page cover letter describing why you think you are the best person to fill this open position at the DGA. This is not an entry-level position. This application will remain open until the position is filled.
The expected salary range for this position is $86,000-96,000 annually before benefits, but salary is commensurate with experience. This application will remain open until at least Wednesday, March 22nd, 2023.
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson for the DGA; Cultivate and maintain contact with key national and state-level media to advance the DGA’s press strategy and promote the work of Democratic governors and the DGA
- Proactively find and create new media opportunities for the DGA and Democratic governors; Book governors on national television, radio, and digital platforms as well as pitching governors for national print outlets
- Provide strategic guidance to campaigns
- Organize press events, draft media pitches, reporter backgrounders, press releases, op-eds, social media content, and other materials as needed;
- Work in tandem with the DGA Digital Department to utilize digital assets to reach broader audiences;
- Travel may be required to achieve goals and perform regular responsibilities;
- Manage other special projects, assignments, and tasks as assigned by the DGA’s Communications Director.
- At least four years of work experience in political communications with at least one cycle of experience working at a statewide level either in an official office or in a campaign capacity;
- A demonstrated record of pitching stories, cultivating reporter relations, and staffing principles for interviews; on-the-record experience;
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, with the flexibility to adapt to a changing media environment in order to take advantage of new opportunities;
- Proven ability to collaborate and coordinate with the offices of multiple stakeholder - including both in-state and national interests;
- Create and distribute talking points and messaging based on research and policy analysis;
- Strong writing skills;
- Strong ability to write and edit on a tight deadline;
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to Democratic candidates and causes;
- Must be comfortable with long, irregular hours during peak seasons.
The DGA recognizes that its continued success requires a staff of hardworking, intelligent people from diverse backgrounds. The DGA is committed to ensuring equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status.
The DGA strongly encourages individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply to this position and to share why your demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working in diverse communities makes you a strong applicant as part of your cover letter.
The DGA offices are based in downtown Washington, DC and we are currently in a hybrid in-person and remote work protocol due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The DGA will work with potential candidates to schedule remote interviews.
This position comes with 100% employer-paid health care for employee + spouse/partner + dependents, up to 4% 401(k) matching program, employer paid phone bill and other employee benefits.