Independent Expenditure (IE) Director
Washington, DC /
Political – Independent Expenditures /
The Democratic Governors Association (DGA), the campaign committee responsible for electing and supporting Democratic Governors, is seeking an IE Director for the 2021-2022 cycle. This individual will report directly to the DGA’s Executive Director and lead the independent expenditure program to elect and re-elect Democratic Governors in 2021-2022. This individual will oversee a complex, multimillion-dollar budget and all IE spending decisions, serve as the external face of the DGA in IE networks, and hire and manage IE staff and consultants. This person will build, maintain, and lead IE tables with local and national partners for each race and independently make strategic investment decisions to impact the DGA’s electoral success.
The expected salary range for this position is $150,000-$175,000 annually before benefits and applicable withholdings, but salary is commensurate with experience. This position comes with 100% employer-paid health care for employee + spouse/partner + dependents, up to 4% 401(k) matching program, employer paid phone bill and other employee benefits.
This application will remain open until at least Friday May 7th.
- Develop and execute strategic paid communications plans in at least 12 competitive gubernatorial races;
- Build IE tables in each 2022 state with in-state and national partners and allied groups;
- Provide guidance on the strategic direction for each race, making budgeting decisions for the DGA and raising money among allied groups;
- Using DGA legal counsel, deliver final approval on all polling and advertising;
- Work with DGA legal and compliance team on all accounting, reporting, and payment obligations;
- Report directly to the DGA’s Executive Director to clearly communicate investment decisions while strictly complying with DGA’s firewall policy;
- Comply with and enforce the DGA 2022 Firewall policy with consultants and other stakeholders.
- At least 3 cycles managing statewide campaigns and/or independent expenditure operations;
- Experience overseeing multimillion-dollar paid communications programs across multiple mediums and media markets;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage relationships with key partners and external stakeholders;
- Understanding of the unique nature of gubernatorial campaigns;
- Advanced understanding of paid media plans, quantitative and qualitative research programs, and budgeting.
- Passion and commitment to Democratic candidates and causes, particularly at the gubernatorial level;
- Ability to work well with national and in-state partners and our diverse DGA staff;
- High energy, flexible, collaborative, creative, and proactive;
- Extremely well-organized and detail oriented while moving in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple processes simultaneously, a keen understanding of politics and messaging, and ability to work collaboratively among a variety of different teams.
The DGA recognizes that its continued success requires a staff of hardworking, intelligent people from diverse backgrounds. The DGA is committed to ensuring equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status.
The DGA strongly encourages individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply to this position and to share why your demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working in diverse communities makes you a strong applicant as part of your cover letter, should you submit one.
The DGA offices are based in downtown Washington, DC and we are currently in a remote work protocol due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The DGA will work with potential candidates to schedule remote interviews and process on-boarding procedures remotely, as necessary.