Deputy Chief Operating Officer
Washington, DC /
Administrative – Operations /
The Democratic Governors Association (DGA), the campaign committee responsible for electing and supporting Democratic Governors, is seeking a Deputy Chief Operating Officer for the 2021-2022 cycle. This position will be overseen by the Chief Operating Officer and work collaboratively with the Director of Operations and all DGA staff to actively manage critical operations on behalf of the committee and lead operational projects to successful completion as they arise. This position will be empowered to continuously review and update organizational policies that ensure the DGA is consistently on the forefront of providing a diverse and inclusive environment for all staff, interns, vendors, consultants, donors, and members. This position will also support the day-to-day operations of DGA and its associated state PACs, Federal PACs, 501(c)(4) organizations, and other entities.
We expect many well-qualified candidates to apply to this position, however, this application will remain open until the position is filled. Please provide your resume and a thoughtful, one-page cover letter describing why you think you are the best person to fill this open position at the DGA.
- Oversee and constantly evaluate all application processes for full time positions and internships to recruit and build a talented and diverse team at the DGA;
- On an ongoing basis, train new employees and interns on DGA values and policies to set them up for success;
- Collaborate with all DGA departments to ensure equitable RFP processes;
- Manage vendor/consultant contract review, execution, and record keeping across all DGA departments;
- Manage Quarterly/Annual IRS filings for all associated organizations in collaboration with outside accounting and legal firms;
- Assist in processing payments for DGA and associated organizations;
- Assist with directing and making deposits for DGA and associated organizations across all revenue streams;
- Assist with review of campaign finance reports for dozens of state-level PACs and other associated organizations;
- Manage other special projects, assignments, and tasks across the entire organization as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer.
- At least 4 years of combined experience implementing/managing human resource (HR) functions for a statewide campaign, state party/organization, and/or a national non-profit/advocacy organization.
- Strong experience leading successful projects aimed to improve diversity and inclusion within a campaign and/or organization;
- Advanced knowledge of hiring practices and experience with initial and ongoing HR trainings;
- Advanced knowledge and/or experience managing payroll and HR systems;
- A basic understanding of the different functions and reporting requirements for Federal PACs, 527 organizations, state-registered PACs, and 501(c)(4) organizations;
- Basic knowledge/experience managing large, multi-department budgets, providing expense forecasts, and projecting cash flow across multiple fundraising streams;
- Experience managing federal level and state level payroll tax filings;
- Experience using QuickBooks accounting software, experience with NGPVAN software a plus;
- Some experience managing equipment, technology, and/or software among a large group of people by serving as an administrator of accounts;
- Experience managing external relationships related to an organization’s basic operations;
- Some experience/knowledge working with others to proactively address cybersecurity concerns across an organization and for individual staff members;
- Knowledgeable of who the nation’s Democratic Governors are and how they fit within the Democratic Party;
- Must be comfortable with long, irregular hours during peak seasons.
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to Democratic candidates and causes;
- Self-starter and willing to take initiative to correct and improve anything – with an understanding how that could affect others;
- Good instincts on understanding what information should be shared and what information should remain discrete;
- Advanced project management skills – including the ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time while streamlining information and communication for others and politely holding others accountable to achieve agreed upon goals;
- Genuinely enjoys training new colleagues on the values of the organization you work for and takes pride in setting others up to be successful at their jobs;
- Curious about how things work and willing to ask questions to continue your own professional growth;
- Has a demonstrated interest in management theory and learning/applying new programs that align with the organization’s goals;
- Strong ability to retain, save, and apply new information to improve existing situations;
- Strong ability to proactively troubleshoot and problem-solve short term and long-term issues as they arise;
- Strong ability to proactively communicate with colleagues, supervisors, and support staff;
- Strong ability to work well with a diverse staff with unique areas of expertise who are part of other departments;
- Extremely well-organized and detail oriented while moving in a fast-paced environment;
- Extremely trustworthy.
The DGA recognizes that its continued success requires a staff of hardworking, intelligent people from diverse backgrounds. The DGA is committed to ensuring equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status.
The DGA strongly encourages individuals with a diverse background to apply to this position and to share why your demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working in diverse communities makes you a strong applicant as part of your cover letter.
The DGA offices are based in downtown Washington, DC and we are currently in a remote work protocol due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The DGA will work with potential candidates to schedule remote interviews and process on-boarding procedures remotely, as necessary. Post-pandemic, this position will be based in Washington, DC.
This position comes with full health care benefits and compensation is commensurate with the position and experience.