Summer 2023 Research Internship
Washington, DC /
Internship Coordination – Research /
The Democratic Governors Association (DGA), the independent, non-profit, campaign committee responsible for electing and supporting Democratic governors, is seeking a Research Intern for the Summer 2023 term. The DGA works closely with the state and Washington, D.C. offices of the Democratic governors as well as many other national Democratic and progressive organizations.
DGA internships allow interested students to obtain practical political experience with the DGA’s various departments. The DGA Research Team is responsible for working with the nation's Democratic governors and candidates to promote their agendas, win elections, and hold Republicans accountable. Typical Research Intern tasks will include assisting with candidate research, monitoring and summarizing news clips related to governors and their policies, transcribing interviews and news clips of governors and candidates, and providing other support to the DGA Research Team as needed.
DGA Research interns will mainly report to the Research Associates and Analysts for assignments and feedback, as well as regular check-in’s with the Director of Operations and Intern Coordinator who manage the DGA’s internship program.
For the Summer 2023 Term, DGA internships will be remote, with the option for interns located in Washington, DC to use the office on a limited basis. Selected interns are provided a program stipend of $5,000. Housing is not provided.
Applicants should submit a resume and 1-2 paragraphs on why you want to work as an Intern at the DGA and how you anticipate a DGA internship will benefit your career. Please include a draft work schedule at the end of your 1-2 paragraphs. Hour requirements are listed below. Potential applicants who have an interest working on Democratic campaigns or supporting Democratic Campaigns are strongly encouraged to apply. No calls, please.
The application will remain open until all slots are filled.
- Assist in the drafting of research memos on Republican candidates and governors to hold them accountable for their policies and actions;
- Assist in the drafting of state specific issue memos for use in campaigns or with stakeholders;
- Assist in media monitoring and the compilation of news articles pertaining to the political landscape of governors and gubernatorial candidates;
- Assist with transcriptions of media appearances of Republican governors and candidates for use in campaign communications;
- Help with other special projects, assignments, and tasks as assigned by the Research Associates, Analysts, or other members of the Research Team.
- Excellent punctuality and attendance;
- Good, professional verbal and written communication skills;
- Good and consistent attention to detail;
- Ability to cooperate and effectively communicate with a diverse staff and other interns;
- Ability to ask appropriate questions to gather information to complete a task on time and up to expectations;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.;
- Proficiency with other web tools such as Google Docs;
- Strong commitment to the principles of the Democratic Party;
- Strong interest in current events and national/state/local campaigns and politics;
- For Summer terms, remote and/or hybrid availability for a minimum of 30 hours per week is required
The DGA recognizes that its continued success requires a group of hardworking, intelligent interns from diverse backgrounds during each term. The DGA is committed to ensuring equal opportunity to participate in the DGA internship program regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status.
The DGA strongly encourages individuals with a diverse background to apply to its internship program and to share why your demonstrated commitment to diversity and experience working in diverse communities makes you a strong applicant as part of your written application.
The DGA’s Intern Coordinator can work with selected interns and their school/program to obtain course credit for this internship.
The DGA offices are based in downtown Washington, DC and we are currently in a remote work protocol due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The DGA will work with potential candidates to schedule remote interviews and process on-boarding procedures remotely, as necessary.