Lead Machine Learning Engineer
San Francisco, CA
We are looking for an experienced Lead Machine Learning Engineer to play a pivotal role on the team. This central position will help define product strategy and technical architecture as well as make a significant impact on our business by building and managing your data science team.
Unlike most data science practices, we have domain experts actively participating in the operational loop. They participate in labeling data, writing content to be served in our solution, and answer customer questions directly. The impact is that our data (and opportunity space) is significantly richer than almost any other customer support platform. Your challenges will include both inventing and optimizing Active Learning loops to make maximal use of our data advantage.
As a Lead Machine Learning Engineer, we will expect you to take a broad view of data science, which takes into account not only the science, but also the business context in which it evolves. Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated significant experience (in NLP, IR, statistics, data mining, and machine learning), along with an ability to deliver data science solutions in an engineering focused organization.
This is going to be fun - hope you will join us!
A Typical Week
- Partner with your Data team to improve data pipelines and analytics
- Deploy a new machine learning pipeline in Databricks
- Collaborate with the broader Engineering and DevOps team to release a new data product
- Suggest enhancements for a data product and articulate them to Product team
- Extract, combine, clean, pre-process, and analyze a corpus of questions and answers from internal and external data sets
- Perform feature extraction for the data set and create a training set for a classifier model
- Optimize hyperparameters of a classifier from an existing machine learning library
- Analyze performance of a data product and come up with suggestions for scaling it
- Investigate if a new algorithm or 3rd party service can be applied to our domain (e.g. Google Bert)
- Work on a patent application or conference submissions
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ years post University experience in the Data Science / Machine Learning field required
- Academic background in a technical/quantitative field (graduate degree a plus) or equivalent experience
- Experience with technical leadership of a team and/or growing a team
- Demonstrated ability to deliver solutions alongside engineering teams
- Experience in the Python data science ecosystem: Pandas, NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, etc. You should be able to hit the ground running with these tools fast
- Experience applying NLP principles in Conversational AI, ChatBots, Virtual Agents, Messenger integrations, or related domains
- Strong background in machine learning (unsupervised and supervised techniques). In particular, excellent understanding of machine learning techniques, algorithms, and performance metrics
- Experience with partitioning and clustering techniques (K-Means, DBSCAN, etc.)
- Experience with text mining, parsing, and classification using state-of-the-art techniques
- Experience with information retrieval, Natural Language Processing, Natural Language Understanding, Neural Language Modeling, and Chat and Dialog Modeling technologies
- Proficiency in SQL
- Knowledge of Big Data technologies, distributed machine learning and computing frameworks (S3, Spark, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, TensorFlow, etc.)
Directly is a leader in support automation, helping enterprise companies launch and train virtual agents that double their automation rate. Companies like Airbnb, Microsoft, and Samsung use our expert-in-the-loop AI platform to tap the expertise of their most experienced customers, delivering content, training, and answers to their virtual agent to significantly boost performance.
Our platform delights customers with knowledgeable, personalized, and empathetic support interactions while creating new economic opportunity for people in the AI era. We integrate with leading CRM applications, messaging applications, and virtual agents.
Directly is based in San Francisco and backed by Microsoft’s M12 Ventures, True Ventures, Costanoa Ventures, and Northgate Capital. We've got a an amazingly talented team focused on collaboration and melding together creativity, technology, and data-driven insights. Come join Directly and contribute to our culture of curiosity, authenticity, and innovation!