Senior Software Engineer | REMOTE
Powering Trade For The Emerging Cannabis Industry
Distru is a 45-person highly technical and customer driven team building a software platform to streamline the supply chain for the cannabis industry. Many of the top cannabis brands and distributors across the United States use our software to manage their entire operation and stay compliant with the state-selected track and trace system.
We are growing rapidly with over $1B in transactions per year passing through our platform and are in a unique position to redefine trade in the growing cannabis industry. Our investors include Felicis Ventures, Global Founders Capital, Poseidon Asset Management and Village Global who have funded companies such as Shopify, Cruise, HelloFresh, Facebook, Slack and Opendoor.
We are an intrinsically motivated team that works without ego, is constantly learning, and solves real problems for the cannabis industry. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will work closely with us and our customers to shape and deliver impactful workflows in all areas of the product. You will take ownership over key features that will have our customers writing you personal “thank you” emails.
This is a full-time remote (worldwide) engineering role, but we are based in Oakland if you want to spend some time in person with some of the team.
- Own the planning, design, implementation and testing of mission critical full stack features.
- Gain deep understanding about the cannabis industry, its supply chain and our customers' nuanced workflows.
- Closely work with product managers, designers and customer support agents in the early phasess of a project.
- Proactively communicate status updates to the rest of the organization.
- Find the balance between speed of execution and code quality.
Features you might work on
- Creating a planning calendar that our customers could use to plan our their manufacturing production schedules, detecting and alerting them of when they are under-resourced or understaffed
- Establishing the mobile experience for delivery drivers to help distributors dispatch more efficiently and track deliveries in real-time
- Building a financial ledger that tracks double-entry accounting
- Integrating with numerous 3rd party services including: Quickbooks, GPS Tracking, ERPs, Weight Scales
- Experience in modern tech stacks, we use React, TypeScript, GraphQL, Elixir and Postgres but we believe great engineers can learn anything!
- Previous experience working in early stage startups
- Previous experience fully owning and delivering a feature end-to-end, with quality and predictability
- Previous experience writing high quality code with effective test coverage
- Previous experience defining timelines, and proactively communicating progress/updates with the rest of the team
- Ability to express complex, involved logic through clean easy to understand code
- Ability to interact with stakeholders, and raise concerns about potentially harmful aspects of a feature
- Significant previous experience with SQL databases (especially Postgres)
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Bonus: previous experience developing complex SaaS products (logistics, supply chain, accounting etc...)!
- Bonus: previous experience in Cannabis!
- Bonus: worked remotely, ideally on a distributed team!
- Base salary $120-160K.
- Generous stock options with employee-friendly exercise terms and post-termination exercise window.
- Full Medical, Vision and Dental insurance coverage for employee, and 90% for spouse, domestic partner, and any dependent family members.
- 18 days Paid Time Off (We want you to use these!)
- Working with world class engineers day in day out!
- Cultivate positivity.
- Show gratitude.
- Take ownership.
- Communicate asynchronously and thoughtfully.
- Low ego.
- Default to transparency.
Engineering Team & Process
- 2 teams with 5 senior engineers and a manager each.
- Half of the engineers are US-based, the other half are based in Europe, South America, Oceania and Asia.
- Projects are run by 1-3 engineers depending on project size.
- Engineers closely work with product managers and designers during feature spec phase.
- Engineers write high-level technical spec for mid to large-size projects and get feedback from peers.
- Engineers freely organize, plan and execute the implementation phase.
- Engineers write thorough automated tests in the backend and perform manual QA in the frontend.
- Engineers are encouraged to open Pull Requests.
- Engineers provide non-nit-picky valuable code reviews.
- Daily deployments with CI/CD.
- ~10% of your time will be spent on meetings, ~90% of your time will be uninterrupted, focus time.
- No on-call team. System is very stable. Issues are fixed during regular work hours.
Ask the Distru Team!
- What is the engineering culture like at Distru? (Click here)
- What are moments that stand out for the Distru team? (Click here)
- Anything else you're curious about? Our team can answer it, just let us know!
1. 30-minute non-technical chat.
3. 4-hour virtual onsite which includes:
- pairing with a Distru engineer to work on a full stack task within Distru's system.
- an exercise where you'll act as a Product Manager to specify a new feature.
- a chat with our CEO.
Once you’re a part of the Distru team, it is our job to make sure that you’re empowered to build high quality code that you believe in. We are a lean startup team and want everyone to feel like they have a real impact on our software and company’s success. In addition to engineering, you’ll be working directly with the founding team during the early stages of a fast growing startup.
Distru was formed by an environment of mutual respect and trust made up by people working together without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success and we proactively strive to recruit, develop and retain the best and brightest people from the most diverse candidate pools we can find all over the world.