Louisville, KY /
Engineering – Controls /
Who You Are:
The Electrical Controls Engineer is part of a cross-discipline project team, responsible for the successful and on-time completion of conveyor upgrade and system integration projects. You will be responsible for the successful execution of all tasks related to electrical and controls engineering on a project.
Electrical controls PLC programmer responsible for aiding in developing, creating, testing, and implementing PLC program and HMI builds required to control conveyor systems and/or related equipment used in the Material Handling Industry (Freight/Parcel, Baggage Handling, Warehouse Distribution, & Manufacturing). This includes assisting in initial code development, conforming to established in-house programming standards, complying with customer specifications on each project, development of HMI programs for system control and monitoring, testing, completing field testing documentation, and field commissioning and start-up activities.
Experience with Ignition, Wonderware, Indusoft, and/or RSView development is preferred. Experience with Rockwell RSLogix and ControlLogix platforms is required along with knowledge of Ethernet/IP communications, ControlNet, DeviceNet, and other industrial control networks. Prefer experience with Proface and/or Panelview software and HMI development.
• Confer with sales engineers, project managers, customers, and others to discuss and understand project specifications, scope and design requirements.
• Prepare detailed and complete PLC programs that are fully annotated, and comply with the system design drawings required to implement the project scope as per project specifications and ensure compliance with specifications, codes, and customer requirements.
• Develop and complete HMI programs for display and control of material handling equipment on both Proface and Allen-Bradley Panelview platforms.
• Fully test and document testing procedures for all programs & software developed that comply with customer and in-house testing documentation requirements. Testing documents will be provided by others to be filled out by the controls engineer.
• May assist with the inspection, audit and testing of completed motor control panels for overall sound construction and compliance with all design standards and specifications.
• Develop SGS (sortation graphics system) screens and database using Wonderware or RSView for monitoring of material handling systems.
• Field commissioning and testing of assigned projects working within a team to deploy and turn-over completed, tested systems to customers.
• Travel to job sites as required for commissioning and start-up activities for assigned projects. Participate in customer training and instruction sessions.
• Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
• Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
• Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
• Technology Design - Generating or adapting equipment and technology to serve user needs.
• Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Sound and efficient design abilities.
• Ability to work within and function well with project teams and other programmers who may be assigned to the same or similar projects.
• Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
• Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
• Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
• Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
• Great Attitude, Work Ethic and Common Sense are a MUST.
• Willing to travel up to 60% for on-site customer commissioning of systems.
Required Experience and Education: Bachelor's Degree - Electrical or Mechatronics Engineering