Account Director, Financial Communications – Edelman Smithfield
Edelman – Financial Communications /
About Edelman Smithfield:
Edelman Smithfield is a boutique strategic consultancy with the reach and resources of a leading global communications marketing firm. We advise public and private companies on strategic and capital markets communications to help effectively position them with the financial community during transformative events as well as during the normal course of business. Clients choose to work with us because of our specialized and experienced financial communications team, our ability to provide the full range of Edelman’s services (such as digital and social media, public affairs and employee engagement) as well as our ability to access Edelman’s global network with more than 65 offices around the world.
Edelman is a leading global communications marketing firm that partners with many of the world’s largest and emerging businesses and organizations, helping them evolve, promote, and protect their brands and reputations. Among its many honors, the firm was awarded the Cannes Lions Grand Prix for PR, named one of 2018 “Agencies to Watch” by Advertising Age and “Global Agency of the Year” by both the Holmes Report and PRWeek, and cited five times by Glassdoor as one of the “Best Places to Work.” Edelman owns specialty firms Edelman Intelligence (research) and United Entertainment Group (entertainment, sports, lifestyle).
The Account Director will be responsible for leading financial communications engagements for Edelman Smithfield in Canada, with a specialization in financial services. The candidate must possess a strong comfort level in counselling senior executives on corporate and financial communications-related matters, as well as with media relations and integrated communications. Experience in special situations and transaction communications (M&A), corporate governance communications, and other investor communications, both during normal course business and special situations, is an asset.
- Supports the continued growth of Edelman Smithfield in Canada
- Provides high-quality, financial communications and capital markets communications strategy and support to existing and incoming financial services client opportunities
- Serves as strategic counselor for C-suite executives
- Lead the creation and implementation of client communications plans and campaigns, including development of both tactical and strategic elements
- Leads assignments of all sizes and complexities, effectively drawing from relevant Edelman teams and specialties to deliver best-in-class service
- Is detail-oriented and ensures team is proactive and highly responsive to client needs, anticipating upcoming deliverables and taking accountability for proper execution
- Collaborates with Edelman financial communications colleagues in Canada and globally to further develop and grow the global practice
- Collaborates with non-financial communications Edelman colleagues across offices to identify ways to bring financial communications services to broader Edelman clients
- Builds awareness of Edelman Smithfield with potential referral sources (e.g., bankers, lawyers, proxy solicitors, etc.)
- Leads and contributes to pitches and new business efforts focused on financial communications opportunities and/or integrated assignments
- Drives FinComms marketing and prospecting efforts to identify new opportunities, including developing new thought leadership and IP
- Supports team culture, with a focus on development and training of team members and advancement of business goals and objectives
- Mentors and manages teams, helping to develop and grow the team and identifying growth opportunities and plans to continue their development
- 8-10 years of experience in corporate and financial communications with financial services expertise, preferably with agency experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university preferred
- Deep understanding of media relations, corporate reputation management, executive profiling, digital social and integrated communications
- A self-starter who performs with a sense of urgency
- Collaborative team player with experience in growing business and supporting the development of team members along the way
- Creative, big thinker with an operational mindset
- Strong understanding of how companies, both public and private, can more effectively communicate to their financial audiences
- Strong comfort level in counseling senior executives of private and publicly traded companies, to include advising publicly traded companies on financial communications matters
- Experience with high intensity corporate assignments and transactions
- Experience and facility in new business development and marketing
- Track record of training talent and creating new offerings for clients
- Strong writing, presentation and analytical skills
- Organized, proactive and self-motivated; anticipate upcoming client projects and deliverables
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal skills
- Innate desire to provide excellent service to clients
Edelman is a global communications firm that partners with businesses and organizations to evolve, promote and protect their brands and reputations. Our 6,000 people in more than 60 offices deliver communications strategies that give our clients the confidence to lead and act with certainty, earning the trust of their stakeholders. Our honors include the Cannes Lions Grand Prix for PR; Advertising Age’s 2019 A-List; the Holmes Report’s 2018 Global Digital Agency of the Year; and, five times, Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work. Since our founding in 1952, we have remained an independent, family-run business. Edelman owns specialty companies Edelman Data & Intelligence (DxI) and United Entertainment Group (entertainment, sports, lifestyle).
For more information please visit: www.edelman.com
Click here to view a short video about life at Edelman.