Sr. Business Affair Manager
Edelman – Legal /
The business affairs role will partner with the Brand, Creative, Production, Influencer, and other teams in the business to provide services with minimal oversight. We are looking to bring a new team member on board for this role as Senior Business Affairs Manager as the global footprint has been steadily increasing – and there is now the need for a dedicated business affairs resource in Canada. This role reports to the Director of Global Business Affairs and will help to elevate and grow the business affairs function within Edelman Canada.
- Recommend and assist in implementing agency policy and process regarding risk management, third party contract management, production workflow to teams and senior management.
- Facilitate and review complex agreements including but not limited to talent, celebrity, influencer, brand partnerships.
- A high degree of confidentiality and discretion are expected in regard- to all matters and documents.
- Experience navigating redlines reviews and facilitating contracts conversations between stakeholders to close deals.
- Provide counsel and mitigation strategiesfor risks associated with content programs and contracting in digital, experiential, print, creator, and influencer.
- Identify and flag risks relating to intellectual property, the regulatory environment, Union concerns, etc.
- Review and counsel on client Statements of Work
- Liaise between internal teamsand Legal to address any specific legal/liability issues arising from a particular production or creative execution.
- Work closely with internal and external legal counsel in resolving potential production liabilities and creating solutions for agency and clients.
- Handle third-party clearances and licensing (including music, stock images, software, etc.) necessary for production or creative execution.
- Approve and facilitate production and talent invoice approvals, and payment.
- Review all finished assets for compliance prior to shipping.
- Arranging and confirming appropriate insurances if required to do so.
- Track and maintain meticulous records for all third-party material licenses.
- Facilitate brand partnerships or co-promotional agreements between clients and third parties.
Job Specifications /Qualifications:
- Basic understanding of legal contract provisions - especially licensing vs assignment/ownership.
- Manage legal contracting processed for Talent and Influencer contracts.
- Experience working in Integrated and Influencer Marketing, with on and off camera and celebrities all desirable.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to identify legal issues from an early stage in the production process and manage and communicate associated risks.
- Should feel comfortable in a fast-paced environment, managing urgent deadlines while setting expectations with colleagues, organizing, and reporting a variety of production details.
- Ability to work on multiple and often complex projects with a fast turn-around.
- Proven problem solver.
- Ability to manage projects with minor daily oversite, with awareness of when to escalate to legal or management.
- Knowledge and experience of working in an agency environment, understanding the needs and managing the expectations of key stakeholders.
- Working and developing relationships with in-house producers, account teams and external vendors.
- 5-10+ years of related work experience in an agency business affairs environment.
Edelman is a global communications firm that partners with businesses and organizations to evolve, promote and protect their brands and reputations. Our 6,000 people in more than 60 offices deliver communications strategies that give our clients the confidence to lead and act with certainty, earning the trust of their stakeholders. Our honors include the Cannes Lions Grand Prix for PR; Advertising Age’s 2019 A-List; the Holmes Report’s 2018 Global Digital Agency of the Year; and, five times, Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work. Since our founding in 1952, we have remained an independent, family-run business. Edelman owns specialty companies Edelman Data & Intelligence (DxI) and United Entertainment Group (entertainment, sports, lifestyle).
For more information please visit: www.edelman.com
Click here to view a short video about life at Edelman.