Edelman – Finance /
Edelman is a leading global communications firm, with more than 5,500 employees in 65 cities worldwide. Edelman partners with many of the world’s largest and emerging business and organisations, helping them evolve, promote and protect their brands and reputation. Edelman UK and Ireland is made up of over 550 brand, reputation, research and digital strategists who drive award-winning creative communication programmes for a roster of high-profile clients.
- Bachelor’s degree in FIN or ACC
- 8+ years of FIN or ACC experience
- Advanced knowledge of financial systems (e.g. PeopleSoft, SAP or any other ERP system) and strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Client service oriented and fosters positive working relationships
- Well organized with strong time management skills and attention to detail, follows through on multiple projects and juggle conflicting priorities in a fast paced environment
- Strong financial analysis and management skills; good business acumen
- Able to articulate financial concepts in layman’s terms
- Must also take initiative and is a self starter
- CPA, MBA, or public accounting experience is a plus
- Professional services industry experience preferred
- Reports to VP, Finance
- Strategic partner to Finance VP and Client Leads
- May supervise one or more Financial Analysts
- Support on relevant client accounts
Responsibilities; Pricing Contracts
- Review and approve client budgets and upload properly into financial system
- Partner with account teams in pricing client proposals, responding to RFP/I’s and developing budgets (with oversight)
- Facilitate negotiation of client and vendor contracts between clients/vendors, account staff/senior management and legal department, including full review of all business terms (with oversight)
- Ensure that projects are managed in accordance with contracts; create summary sheets (contract cheat sheets) for account teams
- Ensure written client agreement is obtained (via contract, letter of agreement, signed SOW, etc.) for all work and are appropriately archived and classified. Liaise with Contract Specialist and Contract office.
Client Reporting & Audits
- Assist account teams with monthly project budget to actual tracking and other required client reporting
- Coordinate data collection for client audits
- Maintain catalog of required client reporting and ensure timely completion
Financial Management Analysis and Planning
- Review monthly client fee phasing and expense detail with Client Leads or relevant Senior Finance
- Analyze monthly client budgets for accuracy and explain significant variances to budget or forecast.
- Assist with developing annual revenue and staffing budgets and maintain accurate monthly projections.
- Provide Client Finance Director, Finance VP and Client Leads with monthly financial package describing results to date, forward projections compared to budget and commentary around noticeable trends
- Analyze client finance reports and identify and communicate areas of concern and suggested improvements to account staff and management (e.g., client profitability, utilization, over/under service, missing time, revenue risk and staffing plans)
- Assisting with the preparation, maintaining and managing of staffing and revenue plans with the Client Leads
- Accountable for accuracy of client financials including client billing, pricing, receivables, WIP and monthly projections
- Review monthly fees for accuracy and compliance with Edelman Revenue Recognition policy
- Post month end journals, including bank postings for general ledger items
Billing/Cash Flow Management
- Facilitate monthly client billing (e-billing per ZATCA standards) – liaison between account staff and billing department and review billing reports
- Review time and expense write-offs and unbilled WIP
- Ensure processing of service orders timely
- Work with client leads to minimize risk exposure surrounding accounts receivables and credit requirements of clients
- Accountable for timely and valuable AR collection status commentary and liaison with Accounts Receivable
Project & Resource Mgt
- Supervise client project set up process for department and perform Finance Manager role for larger or more complex projects.
- Drive profitability by working with department’s management and account teams to improve client and resource management
- Review client staffing utilization, realization, and capacity and proactively communicate meaningful observations to GM’s.
- Work closely with HR and Business leads to identify the needs on resources and align on budgets of new hires.
- Ensure department compliance with company financial policies (e.g., revenue recognition, job requisitions, time entry, travel and expense, credit, billing, capex, accounts payable, new business)
- Ad hoc requests and projects
- Contribute to performance appraisal process for peers and managers
- Engage in team building activities
- Supervise and train Finance personnel and be accountable for their work
- Provide ongoing constructive feedback and consistently hold staff accountable for performance, compliance and ethical business conduct
- Train account staff on internal finance systems, procedures and financial project management
- Ensure performance expectations, career development plan and SMART goals are set and reviewed annually during the formal performance review process for all direct reports
- Work with senior staff and HR, when needed, to address under-performance in a timely manner
- Help mentor, coach and support team members and ensure you and your staff are constantly developing abilities through Edelman University and other training, including on-the-job training and mentoring
- Set achievable goals and tasks, delegate opportunities and provide resources for staff to meet their goals; consistently measure and reward goal achievement
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with Edelman’s values, Code of Ethics and Business Conduct
- Live “in color”
- Set and pursue challenging goals for yourself and your staff
- Lead by example, demonstrate proven strong work ethic
- Commit to continuous learning and building your technical and leadership skills through training
- Help motivate and coach teams to produce quality work and meet client objectives
- Share best practices, good ideas, and mistakes freely to establish trust, transparency and teamwork
Edelman is a global communications firm that partners with businesses and organizations to evolve, promote and protect their brands and reputations. Our 6,000 people in more than 60 offices deliver communications strategies that give our clients the confidence to lead and act with certainty, earning the trust of their stakeholders. Our honors include the Cannes Lions Grand Prix for PR; Advertising Age’s 2019 A-List; the Holmes Report’s 2018 Global Digital Agency of the Year; and, five times, Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work. Since our founding in 1952, we have remained an independent, family-run business. Edelman owns specialty companies Edelman Data & Intelligence (DxI) and United Entertainment Group (entertainment, sports, lifestyle).
For more information please visit: www.edelman.com
Click here to view a short video about life at Edelman.