Director of HR
Los Angeles, CA
What if Alexa, Siri or Watson were any good at holding conversations? What if that conversation can be used for improving a child’s educational development and help them do better in school? What if you had a hand in making that happen?
Who We Are:
DMAI is an early-stage startup committed to developing top-notch Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies for education. As a team of UCLA and Harvard alumni including post-docs, PhDs, and undergrads, we’re looking for highly motivated individuals that are willing to develop creative solutions. At DMAI, you’ll work alongside a growing team of experienced researchers and accomplished entrepreneurs in Computer Vision, NLP, and unified AI.
Where We Are:
DMAI’s office is located in the heart of the Westwood Village area of Los Angeles. We are less than a mile away from UCLA and a short ride to Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and the Los Angeles Airport. Westwood Village provides all the best that LA has to offer in a relaxed, neighborhood atmosphere.
Who You Are:
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Human Resources will oversee all HR and recruitment functions for our mission-driven start-up.
- Overall responsible for strategically and functionally leading and managing all areas of the Human Resources Department
- Together with other HR leadership drives the implementation of HR strategies including talent acquisition, staffing, compensation and benefits, records management, training and development, employee relations, retention, diversity, and compliance
- Enhances and develops, implements and enforces HR policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions
- Maintain compliance with internal document retention policies related to employee and contractor documentation
- Analyzes wage and salary reports and data to determine competitive compensation plan
- Administers performance review program to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within the organization
- Provide strategic direction and guidance on complex employee relations issues, organizational structure, workforce planning, employee engagement, communication, and other HR initiatives
- Design and quickly implement solutions, policies, or practices that cut across multiple disciplines and stakeholders to achieve company goals without sacrificing compliance or company culture
- Identify trends in the workplace. Develop thoughtful business assessments and employee engagement solutions for increased morale, teamwork, productivity, and inclusion
- Work with head of recruitment to oversee recruitment processes, tools, and pipeline
- Minimum of 8+ years of extensive experience covering all HR functions in a fast-growing company. 3+ years’ experience in an HR leadership position.
- Bachelor's degree in related fields required. MBA or Masters in Human Resources a plus.
- Must be knowledgeable in applicable federal, state, and local regulations, benefits administration, performance management, communication processes, compensation, and wage structure, diversity and inclusion, classifying employees, and anti-harassment laws.
- Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits the ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; displays an understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
- Excited about working collaboratively in a culturally diverse environment requiring new perspectives and creative approaches.
- Demonstrated experience in managing teams and collaborating across functions.
- Experience working with executive-level leadership.
- Comfortable working with data, financial, and HRIS systems as well as the customary spreadsheets, slides, and documents (we use both Microsoft and Google).
- Ability to effectively manage workload, prioritize and streamline tasks to ensure accuracy.
- Strong ability to anticipate, identify, and resolve problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situations; uses empathy and reason when dealing with emotional and sensitive topics.
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Experience in the tech industry
- SHRM-CP or SHPR credential strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of SEVIS regulations such as CPT, OPT, H-1B visa, etc.
What We Offer
- Competitive Salary and Equity
- Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA Option
- Generous PTO
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Commuter Benefits
- Dog Friendly Office
- Office Snacks, Drinks and Fruit
- A team culture that celebrates each member’s contribution!
You Should Know:
DMAI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, DMAI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. DMAI expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.