Software Engineer, Natural Language Processing
Los Angeles, CA
What if Alexa, Siri or Watson were any good at holding conversations? What if that conversation can be used for improving a child’s educational development and help them do better in school? What if you had a hand in making that happen?
Who We Are:
DMAI is an early-stage startup committed to developing top-notch Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies for education. As a team of UCLA and Harvard alumni including post-docs, PhDs, and undergrads, we’re looking for highly motivated individuals that are willing to develop creative solutions. At DMAI, you’ll work alongside a growing team of experienced researchers and accomplished entrepreneurs in Computer Vision, NLP, and unified AI.
Where We Are:
DMAI’s office is located in the heart of the Westwood Village area of Los Angeles. We are less than a mile away from UCLA and a short ride to Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and the Los Angeles Airport. Westwood Village provides all the best that LA has to offer in a relaxed, neighborhood atmosphere.
Who You Are:
You are a team player that is able not just to survive in a fast-paced startup environment but thrive. You’re able to execute tasks efficiently, communicate effectively, and own your work. You’re passionate about the potential for AI in education and want to lead the charge in building it.
We Are Seeking:
DMAI is looking for a full time Natural Language Processing (NLP) Research Engineer that has a rare combination of skills to push the leading edge in NLP / NLU / Speech recognition research, and produce working systems that are demonstrably better than the existing state of the art. If you love the challenge of applying these skills to making education better around the world, we’d like to talk to you.
- Contribute research and prototype implementations for our next-generation Artificial Intelligence system
- Build, improve and extend NLP capabilities for our dialogue system
- Research and evaluate innovative approaches to NLP problems
- Take results from development to production in collaboration with product engineers
- M.S. or Ph.D. in natural language processing, dialogue, human-computer interaction or equivalent experience
- Strong background in one or more of the following domains: Natural Language Understanding (NLU) and Natural Language Generation (NLG), Dialogue Systems, Human-Robot Interaction, Intelligent User Interfaces
- Strong knowledge of Java or Python and general software development skills
- Ability to collaborate within and between cross-functional teams; excellent communication skills
- Experience with at least one open-source NLP toolkit such as OpenNLP, CoreNLP, gensim, NLTK, Mallet, LingPipe, etc.
- Strong publication record in top-tier conferences or journals (e.g. ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, AAAI, IJCAI)
- Experience with the application of Deep Learning to Natural Language Processing tasks
- Experience with open-source ML toolkits such as scikit-learn, WEKA, Theano, MLlib, TensorFlow, etc.
- Experience with noise and unstructured textual data in a speech recognition setting
- Practical knowledge of formal syntax, formal semantics, and corpus analysis
- Practical understanding of morphology, lexicology, phonetics, pragmatics, and automated speech analysis and synthesis
- Experience with NLP in Chinese
What We Offer
- Competitive Salary and Equity
- Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA Option
- Generous PTO
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Commuter Benefits
- Dog Friendly Office
- Office Snacks, Drinks and Fruit
- A team culture that celebrates each member’s contribution!
You Should Know:
DMAI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, DMAI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. DMAI expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.