Software Engineer, Speech Recognition
Los Angeles, CA
What if Alexa, Siri or Watson were any good at holding conversations? What if that conversation can be used for improving a child’s educational development and help them do better in school? What if you had a hand in making that happen?
Who We Are:
DMAI is an early-stage startup committed to developing top-notch Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies for education. As a team of UCLA and Harvard alumni including post-docs, PhDs, and undergrads, we’re looking for highly motivated individuals that are willing to develop creative solutions. At DMAI, you’ll work alongside a growing team of experienced researchers and accomplished entrepreneurs in Computer Vision, NLP, and unified AI.
Where We Are:
DMAI’s office is located in the heart of the Westwood Village area of Los Angeles. We are less than a mile away from UCLA and a short ride to Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, and the Los Angeles Airport. Westwood Village provides all the best that LA has to offer in a relaxed, neighborhood atmosphere.
Who You Are:
You are a team player able to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment. You’re able to execute tasks efficiently, communicate effectively, and own your work. You’re passionate about the potential for AI in education and want to lead the charge in building it.
We Are Seeking:
DMAI is looking for a full-time Speech Recognition Research Engineer that has a rare combination of skills to push the leading edge in speech recognition research, and produce working systems that are demonstrably better than the existing state of the art. If you love the challenge of applying these skills to making education better around the world, we’d like to talk to you.
- Build, improve, and extend automatic speech recognition capabilities for our next-generation educational dialogue system
- Research, implement, and evaluate innovative approaches to automatic speech recognition and other speech analysis problems
- Take part in improving components of our speech understanding platform
- M.S. or Ph.D. in speech recognition, natural language processing, spoken dialogue system or equivalent experience
- Strong background in one or more of the following domains: Automatic Speech Recognition, Speech Signal Analysis, Natural Language Processing, Dialogue Systems
- Solid experience in automatic speech recognition, acoustic and language modeling
- Experience with at least one Deep Learning framework, such as Kaldi, TensorFlow, PaddlePaddle, CNTK, or Caffe
- Able to collaborate within and between cross-functional teams; excellent communication skills
- Strong skills in Java or Python programming and general software development
- Experience with noise and unstructured textual data in a speech-recognition setting
- Experience with speech recognition in Chinese
What We Offer
- Competitive Salary and Equity
- Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA Option
- Generous PTO
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Commuter Benefits
- Dog Friendly Office
- Office Snacks, Drinks and Fruit
- A team culture that celebrates each member’s contribution!
You Should Know:
DMAI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, DMAI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. DMAI expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.