Senior Principal Architect, Scala - Remote (R-13452)
Center Valley (Hybrid) - Pennsylvania - United States /
Employee: Full Time - Remote
Why We Work at Dun & Bradstreet
Dun & Bradstreet unlocks the power of data through analytics, creating a better tomorrow. Each day, we are finding new ways to strengthen our award-winning culture and accelerate creativity, innovation and growth. Our 6,000+ global team members are passionate about what we do. We are dedicated to helping clients turn uncertainty into confidence, risk into opportunity and potential into prosperity. Bold and diverse thinkers are always welcome. Come join us!
Our Dun & Bradstreet Hoovers team helps customers prospect and research through modern UI experiences and powerful backend systems. We build complex search solutions on top of scalable architectures that allow us to support hundreds of thousands of users and large data sets. We're working hard to build the most advanced set of business data and analytics on the market.
We move fast and take great pride in what we're building. If you love solving hard data problems, working with great teams, functional programming, and building scalable software using modern technologies like React, Scala, Elasticsearch, Postgres and Akka, we want to talk with you.
The Hoovers team is looking for a Senor Principal Software Architect to design and lead development of business-critical software in the firm. This is an opportunity to create innovative solutions in a visible role where analytical skills, leadership, and a solid architectural background can be put to excellent use on the most impactful projects! The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of advanced system design and delivery. This person will partner with senior level internal stakeholders to manage expectations and prioritize delivery.
What You'll Do:
- Design and build scalable architectures using Scala, Akka, and related technologies.
- Mentor a team of Software Engineers and work closely with the business partners to ensure that the solutions planned will meet the business objectives.
- Write Scala code to populate and query our Elasticsearch cluster.
- Model analytical data in a searchable and scalable way.
- Create new ways of pivoting client data with Dun & Bradstreet rich datasets.
- Test and tune distributed Akka compute cluster.
- Build automated tests using Specs2.
- Provide leadership and guidance on pragmatic methods for measuring progress and the impact of changes.
- Collaborate on technical roadmaps with engineering leadership and business stakeholders.
Requirements (Must Have):
- Minimum of 10 years of proven software systems design and delivery
- Advanced programming skills and comfort with multiple languages
- Significant experience working in a language that incorporates at least some functional features such as Scala, Python, F#, or Groovy.
- Significant experience working with relational databases. Storing and querying relational data should be second nature to you, including joining and grouping.
- Expert level understanding of fundamental computer science concepts such as the practical application of data structures and algorithmic complexity.
- Experience with and excellent understanding of data design options and tradeoffs faced when selecting data systems, protocols, sharing strategies, and normalization levels
- A significant track record of constantly learning new technologies.
- Agile development experience. Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.
- Energetic and has a passion for software development and emerging technologies.
Preferences (Nice to Have):
- Experience with functional languages like Scala, Haskell, or Clojure.
- Experience with search technologies like Elasticsearch or Solr.
- Experience with Akka or other distributed processing frameworks.
- Experience with big data, especially if you've used highly concurrent systems like Spark, Storm, or Hadoop to analyze data.
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics.
What we offer:
- Generous paid time off, increasing with tenure.
- 100% paid parental leave after one year.
- Paid sick time to care for yourself or family members.
- Do Good Program: Paid volunteer days & donation matching.
- Education assistance and extensive training resources.
- Competitive 401k & Employee Stock Purchase Plan with company matching.
- Health & wellness benefits, including a Gympass membership.
- Medical, dental & vision insurance for you, your partner & dependents.
- Learn more at dnbyourbenefits.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO): Dun & Bradstreet is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, genetic information, protected military and veteran status, ancestry, marital status, medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics) or any other characteristic protected by law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. View the pay transparency policy here.