Washington, DC or Wilmington, DE
Research is the messaging and strategy backbone of campaigns. We scour public records, campaign finance reports, articles, interviews, books, legislation, and more to gain a deep understanding of the topics and candidates we research.
Our Research Managers play a key role in helping manage department workstreams, contributing to and executing on research plans, and working with junior staff to complete research tasks and projects. We are looking for applicants with a substantial background in political research; experience managing campaign research processes is a plus.
- Work with department leadership on the development of comprehensive research plans on multiple candidates;
- Manage team execution of research plans;
- Work with junior staff to edit and refine research products;
- Provide rapid response and communications staff with succinct documents that can be used to generate public-facing content; and,
- Lead team efforts to generate ideas for public records requests and analyze responsive records.
- Other duties as assigned to support the department and the DNC's mission
- Mastery of common research tools and resources, including public records requests, campaign finance reports, personal financial disclosures, legal records, policy and legislation, ad tracking, and LexisNexis;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including an eagle eye for typos and errors;
- Strict attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills; and,
- Creative thinking and desire to explore new avenues.
- Minimum of two cycles of experience in political research. Experience in a leadership role or in managing major research projects and workstreams is a plus;
- Deep understanding of politics and political campaigns;
- Significant experience and ability to train junior staff on LexisNexis, campaign finance databases, federal and state-level vote analysis, statistical data gathering, and primary source materials;
- Ability to manage and track progress on long-term projects and appropriately delegate tasks to team members to complete projects on tight deadlines; and,
- Ability and desire to keep up and aggressively engage in the 24-hour news cycle.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
This position is not eligible for overtime wages and has an end date of November 15, 2024.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, open leave, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 5% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.