Washington, DC (DNC HQ)
The staff accountant reports to the Accounting Manager and is responsible for performing accounting and clerical tasks related to the efficient maintenance and processing of revenue, expense, and balance sheet accounts. Other responsibilities within the accounting department will be assigned on an as needed basis.
- Prepares journal entries for many types of transactions across multiple entities
- Prepares month end cash reconciliations
- Monitors invoice approval and payment status status, and follows up with reviewers to ensure timely payment
- Confirms the proper GL coding of outgoing payments
- Updates reconciliation of restricted funds to reflect payments made
- Reviews all expenses charged to a credit card, ensuring both proper GL coding is recorded and proper documentation is obtained.
- Reviews staff expense reports
- Oversees accounting associate position
- Assist in the monthly close process, including cash reconciliations
- Assist in interim and annual audits with external auditors
- Other duties as assigned to support the department and the DNC's mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting (or relevant field) or 4+ years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of general accounting procedures
- Proficient in data entry and management
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Ability to work cohesively with other staff members;
- Strong time management skills;
- Ability to communicate concisely across multiple media
- Strong experience with spreadsheet software
- Experience with Sage Intacct and automated accounts payable software preferred
This is a full-time, exempt position, that may require work on weekends. This position is in the bargaining unit represented by SEIU Local-500. The starting salary for the Senior Accountant position is $90,000, on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, open leave, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 5% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.