Deputy Chief Financial Officer
Washington, DC (DNC HQ)
The Deputy Chief Financial Officer is responsible for partnering with the Chief Financial Officer to implement and oversee day-to-day financial operations, including direct supervision over accounting, treasury management, financial reporting, and financial systems and applications for the DNC and any affiliated entities.
In this capacity, the Deputy CFO will work alongside the CFO to advise the Executive Director and COO on administrative and operational efforts; present financial and budget information to senior leadership, DNC membership, and committees; and administer the DNC’s financial systems, processes, and internal controls.
- Lead the accounting function, managing the daily accounting operations, and serving as the primary interface for all day-to-day accounting matters with staff and outside parties and consultants.
- Ensure that the DNC's accounting and reporting systems support its management, compliance, and fiduciary needs, including general ledger, accounts payable and cash disbursements, and cash receipts.
- Ensure that the internal control system protects DNC assets and financial data, and that written policies and procedures are in place to document those controls.
- Ensure that transactions are recorded accurately, on a timely basis, in compliance with FEC and IRS regulations, and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Partner with compliance to ensure that FEC reports are efficiently and accurately compiled each month.
- Lead the preparation of financial reports to management, financial institutions, governance, and membership.
- Oversee the annual audit to ensure it is conducted on time and on budget.
- Assist in the preparation and review of tax returns, including the annual 1120-POL, state and local sales and use taxes, and other returns as necessary.
- Assist in the negotiation of the DNC’s line of credit, ensuring that the line is adequate to support DNC cash flow needs, and that bank covenants are reasonable and appropriate.
- Recruit, train, and supervise all accounting staff.
Responsibilities: Financial Systems and Reporting
- Ensure that financial accounts are reconciled on a timely basis.
- Serve as system administrator for the DNC’s accounting system, bank and merchant accounts, expense tracking system, and donation tracking systems.
- Work with the CFO and Budget Director to support the reporting needs for financial management, budget tracking, and strategic decision making across the organization, with responsibility for developing, implementing, and maintaining these reports across our financial systems.
- Manage access for all cash, investment, and credit accounts, and ensure that staff with access have permissions appropriate to their job functions.
Responsibilities: Budget and Strategic Projects
- Advise on budget formation for upcoming election cycles, including financial modeling and scenario planning.
- Partner with the Budget Director to ensure quick and accurate reconciliation across our accounting and budget systems
- Assist with strategic analysis projects as requested by the CFO and senior leadership of the DNC.
- Support the DNC Operations team by providing expertise and recommendations on building management, risk management, and other operating activities as needed.
- Advise on strategic procurement initiatives, including on pricing, negotiation strategy, and the financial structure of contracts.
- Review contracts to ensure they are consistent with budget expectations.
- The Deputy CFO's duties extend to the Democratic National Committee, the Democratic Grassroots Victory Fund, and other joint fundraising committees as necessary. Additionally, the Deputy CFO will assist the Democratic Properties Corporation in its accounting and compliance functions.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong financial background and CPA required
- 8+ years of overall work experience, including 4-6 years of Accounting and/or Budgeting experience and 2 years in a managerial position required
- Public Accounting and non-profit experience preferred; experience with political or FEC regulated organizations a plus
- Knowledge of FEC compliance regulations strongly preferred
- Advanced experience with spreadsheets (MS Excel/Google Sheets) required; Experience with Sage Intacct a plus
- Experience developing financial models and communicating their insights to stakeholders across an organization
- A sense of humor and dedication to collaboration
Salary: The starting salary for the Deputy Chief Financial Officer position is $140,000, on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is not eligible for overtime wages and is a supervisorty position.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
The DNC requires all employees to be "up to date" on COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the CDC as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
The DNC does not sponsor work authorization. You must have authorization to work in the United States to qualify for this position.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, vacation, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 4% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.