Email and SMS Director
Washington, DC (DNC HQ)
Mobilization (Digital) /
The mission of the Mobilization department at the Democratic National Committee (DNC) is to bring ordinary people into the heart of the DNC and provide Americans with encouragement, power, and tools to mobilize in their communities.
We organize in all counties across the country, through the state parties and from the grassroots, and we seek to impact down-ballot races and fight for the Democratic agenda every step of the way. We are a team of passionate, cross-discipline experts committed to spreading the truth, getting people more deeply involved, and mobilizing grassroots donors to support the party through creative, relentlessly optimized experiences online and offline. Come join us!
Email and SMS Director
The DNC is looking to hire an Email and SMS Director to run one of the largest and most active grassroots mobilization programs in politics. You will be responsible for managing a team of talented email and SMS strategists and executing grassroots campaigns to achieve our ambitious goals – including raising tens of millions of dollars in grassroots donations from as many Americans as possible.
What You’ll Do
- Manage one of the largest and most complex email and SMS lists in politics. You’ll be responsible for driving the email and SMS calendars, as well as the accuracy in content, personalization, and targeting.
- Innovate how to best reach and mobilize our supporters over email and SMS – ensuring the DNC maintains its prominence in a competitive grassroots fundraising landscape.
- Manage members of the email and SMS team, setting high expectations for their content ideation, drafting, and email and SMS production.
- Direct our testing and optimization efforts over email and SMS, with the goal of producing new learnings on a weekly basis.
- Ensure pristine email deliverability across all inbox providers.
- You have 4+ years of experience fundraising through emails or SMS for an electoral campaign, advocacy organization, non-profit, or other relevant professional experience.
- You have proven leadership and management skills. Mentoring others to create their best work is rewarding to you.
- You are a data-driven thinker who makes programmatic decisions based on statistical performance, with excellent attention to detail.
- You have a knack for finding the right call to action for a particular person in a certain moment.
- You are a great editor who can take an idea or a rough draft and turn it into an email or SMS that can be sent to millions of supporters.
- You’re able to work quickly and efficiently in high-pressure situations.
- You must be in D.C. or be willing to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area.
Preference Given for Experience
- With online fundraising platforms (e.g. Action Network, Scale to Win, Mobilize America, Monday, etc.).
- Managing staff who raise money or win votes for an electoral campaign, advocacy organization, or non-profit.
The starting salary for the Email and SMS Director position is $90,000, on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is not eligible for overtime wages, and is a supervisory position based at the DNC HQ in Washington, D.C. This position has an end date of November 15, 2024.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
The DNC requires all employees to be "up to date" on COVID-19 vaccination status as prescribed by the CDC as a condition of employment, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law. If you seek a reasonable accommodation in relation to the DNC’s COVID-19 policy, you should speak to the HR team prior to reporting to an office location.
The DNC does not sponsor work authorization. You must have authorization to work in the United States to qualify for this position.
The DNC offers a generous benefit package, including:
- More than 30 days of paid time off, including Federal holidays, vacation, and personal days;
- Health and dental insurance for employee and dependents;
- 90% paid by the DNC, 10% paid by employee;
- Supplementary vision plans available to employees for purchase;
- Up to a 4% employer match DNC 401(k) plan;
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to DNC employees and their dependents at no cost to staff;
- Pre-tax Flexible spending account benefits available to employees and dependents.