People Operations Manager
New York, New York /
Dorsia is a membership platform in New York City, Miami, and the Hamptons, set out to revolutionize the reservation experience. The process of restaurant discovery, booking, and payments is broken, and we’re here to change that. We’re building frictionless technology that optimizes revenue for restaurants and experiences for members. Unlike existing dining reservation systems, Dorsia leverages a unique supply and demand pricing model to offer hard-to-book reservations for a guaranteed minimum spend. For restaurants, we optimize revenue by providing a reliable customer base, reducing no-shows and cancellations, and unlocking access to actionable diner insights and marketing support. For our members, we remove the hassle & frustration of securing that perfect reservation.
Dorsia's founding executive team and investors bring a wealth of experience in the hospitality, technology, finance, and media industries, providing Dorsia with a unique edge in building a new type of restaurant tech brand. The founding team includes Marc Lotenberg (CEO; Founder & CEO of Surface Media), Joshua Stern (VP; founder of Wine & Dine and I Know the Chef), and Jared Morgenstern, (investor, COO Raya and 3rd Designer at Facebook). The team also includes leaders from notable companies such as Amex/Resy, Booking.com, The New York Times, Cadre, Major Food Group, Faena, Diageo and USHG.
Dorsia is looking for our first People Operations Manager to oversee the daily operations of our People function. As the second member of our People team, you will be responsible for all aspects of our employee lifecycle from the day-to-day (e.g. onboarding and offboarding, employee policies, processes and benefits, performance, etc.) to long term programs like our Total Rewards strategy. You will be a trusted partner of our employee community to ensure that the employee experience is always rooted in Dorsia’s core values.
You will support all employees, especially focusing on employee engagement, experience and compliance. The ideal candidate has People Operations experience in a growing tech organization, is a self-starter, and can manage multiple priorities.
In this role, you will:
- Own all aspects of the employee lifecycle, including onboarding (in partnership with Senior Recruiting Manager), offboarding, employee engagement, & performance management, ensuring continuous improvement within all processes and systems to enhance the employee experience and provide the ability to scale while balancing the need for efficient use of limited internal resources
- Serve as a trusted ally to our internal teams – providing front line guidance to employees who have questions about policies, benefits and everyday questions
- Build, maintain and iterate Dorsia’s people programs including performance success, employee engagement (culture pulse, skip levels etc.) and culture/recognition (anniversary programs, team events etc.) to find ways to keep teams connected in a hybrid, distributed work environment
- Partner with hiring managers and Senior Recruiting Manager to ensure smooth handoff into onboarding and ensure a steady feedback loop between teams in order to continuously improve all aspects of the employee lifecycle
- Build out and conduct strong learning and development programs, primarily focused on manager training to set expectations and improve manager effectiveness
- Partner with Senior Recruiting Manager on providing guidance and insight to exec team on org design and headcount planning
- Partner with Senior Recruiting Manager in the analysis and evaluation of employee performance, identification of gaps, and creation of strategies from those analyses to cultivate talent and improve performance at all levels of the business
- Assist the leadership team in shaping Dorsia’s Total Rewards strategy to ensure our total rewards strategy remains competitive, annually reviewing all aspects of compensation, equity, incentives, benefits and perks
- Support the leadership team with annual compensation review including annual review of Total Rewards package (compensation, equity, incentives, benefits and perks), integrating any changes into our current systems and programs
- Oversee and refresh the organization's HR policies and procedures and ensure the company is compliant with state and national regulations across our distributed workforce
- Manage relationships with external human resources providers (e.g. HRIS systems), periodically re-evaluating in order to meet business objectives and provide the best possible resources and support for our team
- Ensure ongoing compliance in partnership with counsel related to relevant regulations and requirements to minimize risk and exposure to the company; oversee compliance calendar and ensure all regular occurring needs are completed
- Manage benefits administration including health and life insurance, leave of absence, vacation/holidays, 401k etc.
- Maintain and oversee all HR systems including our HRIS (Gusto) to ensure the most up-to-date and accurate information
- Work in partnership with Finance to ensure payroll accuracy; handle compliance needs as needed
- Create and maintain a hybrid working philosophy and strategy to support an inclusive environment across Dorsia’s distributed workforcePartner with the Senior Recruiting Manager to be the “pulse of the organization” and assess organizational health and effectiveness regularly including: Employee engagement surveys and eNPS
- Develop deep relationships and build trust with key business owners
- Utilize people metrics to drive key insights and decisions around growth and retentionIdentify areas of opportunity/improvement for employee experience
- Plan NYC employee outings and office programming
What we're looking for:
- 4-5+ years’ experience in People Operations (preferably at an early to mid-stage startup)
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and projects across Benefits, Compliance, Culture, and Talent
- Sensitivity and discretion around highly confidential informationExperience advising and consulting senior leadership on best HR/People practices
- Strong experience with government regulations and best practices
- Passion for optimizing, improving, and automating processes
- Familiarity with Gusto is a big plus
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources preferred
Compensation: $90,000-$110,000 (depending on experience) + meaningful equity
Our Core Values:
Lead with hospitality. We respect the craft and precision that are intrinsic to the hospitality industry. We are a team diverse in background and thought, built to be the connective tissue between artists, chefs, diners, and members.
Mise en place. We are persistent in preparation, prioritization, and focus to anticipate our customers’ needs to create a powerful platform rooted in simplicity and elegance. And we know that details matter, which is why superior design is crucial to our brand ethos. Thoughtful design is baked into everything we do—our product, brand, creative, culture, and beyond.
Go around the table—then commit. We know creativity takes feedback and iteration, and differing opinions can lead to healthy debate. While we encourage all voices to speak up and be heard, we are geared toward action and unify around the decision once it's made. Sometimes an individual idea or project may not be what’s best for the company, so don’t be afraid to kill your darlings.
Our product is our signature dish. We are a product and marketing-led organization. Protecting our brand and vision needs to be top-of-mind with every move we make.
Optimize turn times. We are creating beautifully-designed, tech-forward solutions to automate all sides of our business: for members, restaurants, and employees. And we’re laying a data-rich foundation to enable all stakeholders to make better decisions and enjoy the finer things in life.
Savor it. We eat slowly and celebrate the wins we share with those around the table. We’re in this for the long-haul, so enjoy the ride.
Stay hungry. We can change the world or someone else will. We believe in a sense of urgency to keep pushing toward our goals. And there’s always room for dessert, because there’s always more to do.