Director of Software Engineering
Sunnyvale, California /
Software Engineering /
DrChrono’s mission is to create a world where healthcare providers can completely run their entire medical practice on their mobile device. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Director of Software Engineering to lead our engineering efforts. This role will report directly to the VP of Software Engineering.
A critical aspect of this role is the ability to remain a strong hands-on technologist while also being able to offer support, insight, coaching, and proactively surface ideas and concerns of your direct reports. Strong time-management skills and experience in highly autonomous roles is critical. As a leader, you are highly-accountable with strong interpersonal skills in working with Engineers, RCM Operation leaders, Vendors and Customers. You function effectively in a busy environment with little or no supervision and are comfortable making independent decisions.
In this role you will...
- Serve as a primary point responsible for the overall health, performance, and capacity of DrChrono’s billing and RCM applications & services
- With the help of your team members, educate Software Engineering on best practices for testing, deploying, and developing code. Encourage and enforce the right behaviors to ensure we continue to ship quickly without compromising production stability.
- Development and deployment of new product features to facilitate rapid iteration and constant growth.
- Develop tools to improve our ability to rapidly deploy and effectively monitor custom applications in cloud-hosted Rackspace and AWS environments.
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that platforms are designed with "operability" in mind.
- Function well in a fast-paced, rapidly-changing environment.
- Take appropriate risks for technical debt and define a clear strategy for paying it down
- Work closely with the drchrono recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Ensure that the team understands the “why” behind DrChrono’s plans, and are inspired to realize the company's vision
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Computer Science or related engineering fields
- Minimum 5 years as engineer and 5 years as manager/lead
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience in full-stack web technologies including Python/Django (preferred), Ruby on Rails, Java, C++ etc. Experience in one or more of front-end Web technologies including React, Elm, Angular.js, Node.js, Backbone.js.
- At least 4 years of experience in a leadership role in the past or evidence indicating a good fit for the requirements of this role.
- A desire to see their direct reports succeed and a strong belief in autonomy, delegation, and trust.
- A desire to mentor, guide, and direct others on their career paths.
- Willingness to take feedback and collaborate with Peers and other Executives.
- Humility, curiosity, and a desire to grow both professionally and personally, and the desire for the same for your peers.
- Experience with Agile methodology
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, and in person.
- Self-motivated and able to work without close supervision
- Ability to multitask and adjust priorities in a busy and changing work environment
- Strong leadership, team development and business skills.
In your first 30 days, YOU'LL...
- Understand the team members and get a good sense of the team and personnel
- Understand internal development processes and collaborate with product, design, and engineering teams, using agile principles to deliver products that drive meaningful health outcomes
- Have written your first lines of code, deployed to production and learned the whole 9 yards of development
- Spend time with our engineers, RCM operations, AMs, customers, and users to understand their pain points and help inform our product strategy
- Gain solid knowledge of our EHR products (especially Billing areas) and understand our target customers and key market differentiators
In your first 60 days, YOU'LL...
- Manage the product lifecycle from ideation to launch, working closely with design and engineers to deliver quality product releases
- Start actively leading the ongoing projects and setting strategic direction to our Product Engineers
- Have evaluated our processes and practices and collaborated with the management team to improve inefficiencies.
- Have worked closely with People operations to identify and source qualified candidates.
- Have collaborated within Engineering to gather and scope requirements for improving the deployment and automation of our testing and delivery systems.
In your first 90 days, YOU'LL...
- Have delivered at least one project independently and involved in quarterly roadmap activities.
- Have hired at least 1 engineer and understood the recruitment practices.
- Have led and contributed to retrospectives, sprint planning, and other operational activities.
- Have established rapport with your team, aligning them to clear business objectives and personal development goals.
- Own the vision for future quarter, working closely with product and engineering leadership to align product roadmaps with our overall product strategy
We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, etc. We actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.