Software Engineering Manager
DrChrono’s mission is to create a world where healthcare providers can completely run their entire medical practice on their mobile device. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven manager to lead our engineering efforts. This role will report directly to the VP of Software Engineering.
A critical aspect of this role is the ability to remain a strong hands-on technologist while also being able to offer support, insight, coaching, and proactively surface ideas and concerns of your direct reports. Strong time-management skills and experience in highly autonomous roles is critical. As a leader, you are highly-accountable with strong interpersonal skills in working with Engineers, RCM Operation leaders, Vendors and Customers. You function effectively in a busy environment with little or no supervision and are comfortable making independent decisions.
In this role you will...
- Work across Software Engineering to build relationships with other teams. Use their feedback and understand their goals to build and prioritize a roadmap for your org.
- With the help of your team members, educate Software Engineering on best practices for testing, deploying, and developing code. Encourage and enforce the right behaviors to ensure we continue to ship quickly without compromising production stability.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals.
- Define the platform pieces required to organize information at scale
- Drive the right technology choices (e.g. languages, libraries, frameworks)
- Lay out the technology architecture for both immediate and long term growth
- Take appropriate risks for technical debt and define a clear strategy for paying it down
- Work closely with the drchrono recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Ensure that the team understands the “why” behind drchrono’s plans, and are inspired to realize the company's vision
- You have 5+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 2+ hands-on technical management experience.
- You have experience leading managers and engineers at all levels, and you’re skilled at guiding them through their career development.
- You have a technical background and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions.
- You are familiar with our tech stack including Python/Django (preferred), Ruby on Rails, Java, C++ etc. Experience in one or more of front-end Web technologies including React, Elm, Angular.js, Node.js, Backbone.js.
- You have implemented organizational processes to that make sure that the team deliver on their accountabilities.
- You think strategically and can develop process, tools and frameworks that help ensure effectiveness across a variety of stakeholders.
- You know how to create organizational alignment. You know how to get your entire team working towards the same vision while still understanding their unique role in delivering upon "the game plan"
- You've worked on large-scale SaaS products and can rapidly familiarize yourself with complex products.
- You have a strong focus on metrics and know how to measure the health of engineering teams.
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale.
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and you’re committed to driving projects to completion.