Sr. Software Development Engineer, Back-end (remote)
Bellevue, WA /
Technology – Development /
Right now, even though STEM skills are increasingly important, over 60% of students in Kindergarten through 8th grade are not proficient in math at their own grade-level. The pandemic has increased the opportunity gap for our most vulnerable students. As a society, we need to bring together our best, most creative minds to tackle this critical problem and ensure all kids are successful in math and school and have the tools they need to reach their potential. This includes developing the most innovative learning technology using advanced data science in a way that inspires students and empowers teachers. Come help us make a difference at DreamBox Learning.
We’re passionate about our mission to radically transform the way the world learns. Today, our Intelligent Adaptive Learning platform – with its rigorous math curriculum and game-based environment – is helping 5 million kids and over 150,000 educators improve math achievement and build a love of math at the same time. In the wake of COVID-19, and the broad range of learning experiences: in-person, all virtual and hybrid models, we are uniquely positioned to bring our best-in-class adaptive learning platform to more students and provide Educators and Parents with insights into their student’s learning.
About the Role:
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you have the opportunity to help to build DreamBox's backend, database,and platform infrastructure. You will also have the opportunity to work with other talented engineers and designers, leverage the best technologies to deliver the next generation of scalable, reliable, and maintainable services that will serve the company’s growing customer base.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Write code with a focus on, but not limited to, the backend parts of software products
- Actively participate in team meetings such as exits, demos, retrospectives, grooming, and planning – helping facilitate streamlined team functioning
- Own parts of feature sets from inception through implementation and past release into customer use
- Advocate for technology work (such as technical debt) with product managers so that the right mix of core infrastructure and external features get built
- Interface as an SME with other teams such as product management, client success, curriculum, and marketing
- Design and architect solutions and actively participate in architecture discussions with other developers
- Participate in code reviews for peers
- 8+ years of applicable experience in technical roles, especially in backend and platform infrastructure domains
- Expert with Java and some knowledge of one or more of other OOP languages
- Strong working experience with technologies such as the AWS stack, Docker, Service Mesh
- Solid experience with large-scale cloud-based SOA systems and microservice architectures
- Working experience with Agile and CICD development process
- Familiarity with database systems and architecture, including one or more of MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL (DynamoDB, etc.), Redshift
- Self-motivated and passionate about software engineering and technology
- Demonstrate excellent judgment and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrate lateral thinking skills
- Can communicate effectively to technical and non-technical people
At DreamBox, we are hooked on celebrating diversity & providing an inclusive workplace and it shows throughout our product, brand, and teams. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Thanks for considering DreamBox Learning!