Product Marketing Manager
Seattle, Washington /
Marketing and Communications – Marketing /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. Trees are highly effective at carbon removal, but scaling reforestation has significant obstacles--and that gets our team fired up about how we can build solutions using technology. We’ve built DroneSeed, and acquired and combined it with 130-year-old Silvaseed to be a one-stop-shop for reforestation and remove obstacles at each of four steps:
- Seed. Natural regeneration after wildfire is in decline due to climate change resulting in larger fires of higher severity. These factors eliminate seed stored in the soil for regeneration. This creates challenges for seed supply. To respond we’ve expanded Silvaseed to become the largest private seed bank in the west and the first call for land managers affected by fire.
- Grow space. There’s not enough nursery greenhouse capacity to grow seedlings (link). We’re currently growing millions of seedlings per year at Silvaseed and, while we’re doubling that output, we’re creating a replicable method to scale further.
- Better tools for labor. We need better tools to accomplish more reforestation faster. DroneSeed is utilizing heavy lift drone swarms to deliver seed vessels after wildfire and boost seed establishment in combination with seedlings that are interplanted later.
- Finance. For the last 20 years, carbon offsets haven’t provided capital for the high-up front costs of reforestation. Landowners have had to rely on limited grant funding. Repayment periods were 25 years or more and reforestation projects were exceedingly rare. That changed two years ago when third-party certifier Climate Action Reserve (CAR) announced the Climate Forward protocol to conservatively forecast the carbon tonne removals as reforested trees grow. DroneSeed is developing one of the first projects using this protocol. This and future projects following the protocol will be protected by legal easements on replanted and re-seeded land, monitored by state-accredited land trusts, and have insurance buffer pools in place in case fire occurs again. Under the CAR protocol, DroneSeed is generating the most transparent, highest-quality forestry-based carbon offsets on the market from reforestation projects.
We need to overcome these four reforestation challenges to build back--even a fraction of--the forests we lose from wildfires every year. That's why we set out to build a model to make reforestation scaleable, which requires expanding the supply chain systems and financial flywheels behind them. That is the mission: make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
DroneSeed HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Team Size: ~100
Leadership Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Director of Account Management), Matthew Aghai (Senior Director of Bio R&D), Arnoud de Villegas (Senior Director of Business Development), Katherine Wong-Velasco (Director of Talent Acquisition) and Mary Caroline Pruitt (Senior Director of Marketing & Communications)
Notable Investors: Marc Tarpenning co-founder Tesla, Tobi Lutke CEO Shopify, Alexis Ohanian co-founder Reddit, Marc Benioff, Court Lorenzini 1st CEO DocuSign
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, Non-profits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
As DroneSeed’s first product marketing hire, you will be responsible for developing and executing go-to-market plans for DroneSeed’s products and services with a focus on our carbon offsets. You are an expert in crafting tailored messaging and positioning to reach different audiences and drive new leads/retain existing clients. This role will start as a contract role with the potential to grow into a full time role. Location: Seattle is preferred, but we're open to remote for the right candidate.
NOTE: Currently, we are receiving a high volume of applicants for all roles. Thus, it may take us a little longer than normal to review new applications. We appreciate your patience!
What You'll Be Doing:
- Partner closely with product, marketing, client solutions, and business development to develop and carry out GTM strategies for DroneSeed’s carbon pillar.
- Develop segmented messaging–informed by user research, data, market insights, and product/business understanding–to different audiences from offset buyers to landowners to foresters.
- Create top of funnel awareness for our forward-looking, reforestation carbon removal offsets, using a variety of tactics from boots-on-the-ground marketing to digital marketing or a mix.
- Refine our value prop, distill complex market and technical issues into messaging and materials to effectively explain carbon to existing and new customers.
- Implement offline/online marketing strategies across a variety of channels to reach customer segments (landowners, RPF’s, agencies, tribes, etc.), then test and analyze performance using data to prove out the best methods
- 5+ years of product marketing work experience.
- Proven success working in ambiguous situations with shifting priorities in a high growth environment.
- Deep understanding of or experience with the carbon markets is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
- Are someone who loves data and testing to prove out results.
- Experience working on marketing and growth throughout a product’s lifecycle.
- Have a strong background in acquisition marketing and creating holistic marketing campaigns.
- Experienced in offline and online marketing, including SEO, email, website, etc., and in testing campaigns across a variety of channels.
- Track record of effective collaboration with cross-functional teams.
- Exceptional content creation skill with the ability to frame and simplify complex issues.
- Interest in climate tech, forestry, or environmental science.
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. This position may require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to DroneSeed versus other opportunities.