Pacific Northwest Region /
Operations – Ground Operations /
DroneSeed is a climate tech company working to make reforestation scaleable. We combine tech and traditional forestry methods to reforest land affected by wildfires with forward-looking carbon offsets to fund it all. DroneSeed is a vertically-integrated provider of reforestation services to get projects up and running in weeks, not years: planning, the largest seed and seedling supplies in the West, massive nursery operations, and seeding and planting execution. To fund its operations and open new revenue streams for landowners, DroneSeed sells forward-looking carbon offsets that lock in CO2 removal for at least 100 years, among the first of their kind available on the voluntary offset market.
DroneSeed HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Team size: ~100
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, nonprofits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
TL:DR? Check out this Ecopreneurs video by Salesforce.
If our work thrills and inspires you, we’d love to receive your application!
Successful forestry projects require a combination of domain expertise and the ability to work with a constellation of stakeholders to get the job done. As an Operations Forester at DroneSeed, you will take the lead on ensuring that our carbon projects are done well, resiliently, and provide outcomes that delight landowners while furthering our mission to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
**Location: Remote in the Pacific Northwest / Northern California with Frequent Travel**
What you’ll be doing:
- Develop a network and work with regional consulting foresters on writing forest regeneration prescriptions.
- Source forest management contractors and their crews, including the planning and overseeing of hiring events.
- Perform operational-level training and supervision of contractors and their crews, including as they relate to cone collections, vegetation management, seedling outplanting, and surveying.
- Handle all contractor relations including scheduling, oversight, and administrative functions like invoicing.
- Interface with landowners on operational issues as they relate to project implementation.
- Plan and direct forest surveys and related studies and prepare reports and recommendations.
- Monitor contract compliance and results of forestry activities to assure adherence to government regulations.
- Make frequent visits to project sites across Western North America.
What you bring:
- A completed undergraduate degree in environmental science, forestry, or a related field.
- 3+ years of experience as a practicing field operations forester
- Physical capability to work in forested environments and adverse terrain in all weather conditions.
- Operational understanding of artificial regeneration and/or restoration of forested ecosystems.
- Operational understanding of silviculture practices in one or more Western North American forest types
- Comfort with sourcing and organizing forest management crews.
- Understanding of silviculture and forest mensuration.
- Prior experience in post-fire forest management, and ideally regeneration.
- A technical understanding of site planning, site preparation and civil engineering for forest operations.
- Operational experience with GIS Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- The ability to embrace change and modify behavior and plans to effectively achieve goals. Self-motivation, adaptability, flexibility, and change agility are necessary.
- M.Sc., PhD or equivalent experience in the realm of applied forest ecology, forestry or wildland management
- Licensed Registered Professional Forester or equivalent certification or expertise in California, Oregon, and/or Washington state is preferred, but not required
- A functional understanding of seed procurement and processing and nursery seedling production
- A functional understanding of seed biology and seedling ecophysiology
- Proficiency in Spanish
Benefits of working at DroneSeed:
We're focused on making a positive impact on the environment. We value a highly diverse team, have a supportive and collaborative office culture conveniently located in north Seattle (Ballard). Taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. We have a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need; we don’t track vacation or sick time.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and willing to make frequent visits to client sites. DroneSeed is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and ready to bring your problem-solving skills to teams focused on multi-vehicle, heavy-lift drone operations in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments, we’d love to speak with you.
DroneSeed and its subsidiaries offer:
- Competitive salary
- Location-based compensation
- 75% health insurance coverage for Full-Time employees, including Medical, Dental & Vision insurance plans
- Company’s incentive stock options (ISO)
- Retirement saving plan: 401(k) and Roth 401(k)
- Commuter Benefits in eligible cities
- 6 paid holidays. Two shut-down weeks per year.
- Flexible PTO for Salaried employees. Generous PTO accrual for Hourly employees.
- Annual allowances for Work-from-home employees
- Relocation support for out-of-state employees
- Other perks such as special company gatherings and swag