Sr. Specialist, Seed Operations
Roy, Washington /
Supply Chain – Nursery Operations /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. It would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools.
Our technology speeds up the process. DroneSeed uses heavy-lift drone swarms to reforest at scale after 🔥. We cut time to reforest from 3 years to 3 months. We’ve pioneered the drones and the backend required to operate swarms as a delivery solution over rough terrain. We survey sites and deliver to targeted areas of soil proprietary seed vessels that boost seed survival. Utilizing carbon credits, we double landowner investment in 18 months addressing the financial barriers to reforestation.
What you'll be doing:
As a Sr. Seed Operations Specialist in our forest nursery you will be leading the coordination of procurement, cleaning, processing, and inventory of primarily conifer seed for forests spanning all of Western North America and beyond. You will be responsible for coordinating and implementing travel for scouting and collections, running machines, crews, and multiple shifts during the peak extraction and cleaning season. You will be part of a larger division that is responsible for the production of seedlings for reforestation, and will support their seed needs throughout the year. You will also support international seed sales and procurement, and will be responsible for the transfer of seed within regulatory guidelines across the globe.
- A Bachelor of Science degree with 3+ year experience in the realm of applied biological sciences, natural resource management, ecology, forestry, or agriculture/horticulture
- A thorough understanding of tree species’ seed biology, masting, seed harvesting, and seed processing as it relates to both conifers and hardwoods of Western North America.
- A functional understanding of seed procurement and mechanical seed processing
- A functional understanding of seed collection, tree improvement, orchard management or forest nursery production
- Operational experience with GIS
- Experience working with interdisciplinary team on complex and multiphase projects
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Passionate and self-motivated with a penchant for innovation
- M.Sc., PhD or equivalent experience in the realm of applied forest ecology, forestry or wildland management
- A functional understanding of seed biology and seedling ecophysiology
- Experience collecting, processing, cleaning and distributing seed products for forests or wildlands
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We're focused on making a positive impact on the environment. We value a highly diverse team, have an awesome office culture, support and encourage collaboration, and have locations in Seattle (Ballard) and Olympia. Taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. We have a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need; we don’t track vacation or sick time for this role
Candidates must be eligible to work at the DroneSeed Forest Nursery located near Olympia, WA.
DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of leading the seed program of a high volume forest nursery and seed operation, we’d love to speak with you.