Specialist, Biological Research & Development
Seattle, Washington /
Research & Development – Biology Operations /
Our mission is simple: make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. It would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools. That’s where our technology using drone swarms, survey and data collection, and proprietary seed delivery vessels can substantially help to speed up the process. We’re making it scalable by navigating hard terrain, providing labor better tools, and shortening the supply chain from 18-36 months to 30-60 days.
We work in post-wildfire environments to plant native trees and vegetation using heavy lift drone swarms. We’ve pioneered seed vessels and tailored them to survive in different ecosystems. Our aerial survey and data collection process allows us to deliver vessels to microsites at the ¼ acre scale and boost survival. We continually integrate rapidly evolving aircraft and hardware technology which enables us to operate in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments.
DroneSeed is a Techstars alumni founded in 2016 to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. We work with 3 of the 5 largest timber companies in the United States, and are backed by partners like Social Capital, Spero Ventures, the co-founder of DocuSign, and others focused on solving the world’s hardest problems.
What you'll be doing:
You are the research specialist for the Biological Research and Development team at DroneSeed. Your objectives is to ensure a steady stream of data is flowing from project sites, experimental field sites and our greenhouses to the science team throughout the year. You will work with the research team to establish monitoring protocols for all active project sites and actively assess their biological status with respect to DroneSeed operations. You will reinforce the need for data by coordinating and implementing experiments far and wide (including the Pacific Northwest, New Zealand, and elsewhere), and ensuring timely and thorough monitoring of these multiple project sites for the duration of a project. You will also be responsible for project reporting, record keeping, project site (stakeholder) communications and will be a critical contributor to the prototyping process.
You have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or similar education in biology, ecology, forestry, or environmental science
- 3+ years independent biological field research under the direction of a research program
- Experimental design familiarity, data collection, data reporting, and data processing
- Experience with forest monitoring, seedling ecophysiology, and/or plant ecology
- Experience in laboratory, greenhouse, or mesocosm biological data collection with plants
- Attention to detail and a keen interest in on the ground observation, and not dissuaded by repetitive tasks & record keeping
- Ability to learn, or familiarity with, species of plants native to the North American continent
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time, including domestic and international, Comfortable working in remote & difficult terrain, including long days outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Familiarity with QGIS or other mapping software and handheld GPS
- Experience with data analysis in Excel or R
- Familiarity with field ecology and forestry monitoring techniques, such as fixed-radius plots and transects
Bonus skills and experience:
- Familiarity with seed and plant propagation strategies
- Familiarity with UAV systems and operations
- Written communication skills
- Ability to lead work crews, small teams
- Experience at a startup or fast paced work environment
We’re focused on making a positive impact on the environment. We have an awesome office culture, highly collaborative team, and are conveniently located in north Seattle (Ballard). Taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. Life outside of work matters. DroneSeed has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need - we don’t track vacation or sick time.