Sr. Environmental Copywriter
Seattle, Washington /
Marketing and Communications – Communications /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. Trees are highly effective at carbon removal, but scaling reforestation has significant obstacles--and that gets our team fired up about how we can build solutions using technology. We’ve built DroneSeed, and acquired and combined it with 130-year-old Silvaseed to be a one-stop-shop for reforestation and remove obstacles at each of four steps:
- Seed. Natural regeneration after wildfire is in decline due to climate change resulting in larger fires of higher severity. These factors eliminate seed stored in the soil for regeneration. This creates challenges for seed supply. To respond we’ve expanded Silvaseed to become the largest private seed bank in the west and the first call for land managers affected by fire.
- Grow space. There’s not enough nursery greenhouse capacity to grow seedlings (link). We’re currently growing millions of seedlings per year at Silvaseed and, while we’re doubling that output, we’re creating a replicable method to scale further.
- Better tools for labor. We need better tools to accomplish more reforestation faster. DroneSeed is utilizing heavy lift drone swarms to deliver seed vessels after wildfire and boost seed establishment in combination with seedlings that are interplanted later.
- Finance. For the last 20 years, carbon offsets haven’t provided capital for the high-up front costs of reforestation. Landowners have had to rely on limited grant funding. Repayment periods were 25 years or more and reforestation projects were exceedingly rare. That changed two years ago when third-party certifier Climate Action Reserve (CAR) announced the Climate Forward protocol to conservatively forecast the carbon tonne removals as reforested trees grow. DroneSeed is developing one of the first projects using this protocol. This and future projects following the protocol will be protected by legal easements on replanted and re-seeded land, monitored by state-accredited land trusts, and have insurance buffer pools in place in case fire occurs again. Under the CAR protocol, DroneSeed is generating the most transparent, highest-quality forestry-based carbon offsets on the market from reforestation projects.
We need to overcome these four reforestation challenges to build back--even a fraction of--the forests we lose from wildfires every year. That's why we set out to build a model to make reforestation scaleable, which requires expanding the supply chain systems and financial flywheels behind them. That is the mission: make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
DroneSeed HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Team Size: ~100
Leadership Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Director of Account Management), Matthew Aghai (Senior Director of Bio R&D), Arnoud de Villegas (Senior Director of Business Development), Katherine Wong-Velasco (Director of Talent Acquisition) and Mary Caroline Pruitt (Senior Director of Marketing & Communications)
Notable Investors: Marc Tarpenning co-founder Tesla, Tobi Lutke CEO Shopify, Alexis Ohanian co-founder Reddit, Marc Benioff, Court Lorenzini 1st CEO DocuSign
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, Non-profits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
What you’ll be doing:
As our first hire fully dedicated to writing, you will be responsible for all external and internal copywriting and content initiatives. We’re looking for an excellent writer who has the versatility to write in multiple voices and feels equally comfortable writing crisp, short copy and long-form narratives. This role will start as a contract role with the potential to grow into a full time role. Location: Seattle is preferred, but we're open to remote for the right candidate.
**Please submit your portfolio**
- Draft and edit all DroneSeed external and internal content and copy, including customer/investor newsletters, website copy, content, blog posts, social media posts, marketing materials, press release, digital campaigns, video productions and more
- Work cross-functionally across sales, product and business development to develop writing materials and marketing collateral for different projects and partnerships
- Help establish copy, social media, style and tone guidelines to ensure consistent copy throughout external and internal channels
- Write compelling content for a variety of audiences, spanning from foresters to landowners to partners to offset buyers to internal team members
- Have 5+ years experience writing in-house for brands or agencies (agency experience strongly preferred) and a degree in either Journalism, Creative Writing, English, or Communications
- Are a writer at heart; you love writing inside and outside of work
- Have experience working with climate focused companies or have completed a degree in environmental science, forestry, sustainability or a related field; experience with writing projects around carbon offsets is a huge plus
- Enjoy and excel at writing in a variety of formats, whether it’s ghostwriting for an executive, business writing for a press release, or creative writing for a blog or social post
- Are excellent at managing multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a rigorous attention to detail
- Have strong portfolio of work displaying mastery of brand tone and voice across multiple formats (digital, video, social, etc)
- Understand how to prioritize cross-functional team requests
- Are experienced in taking technical topics and distilling them into narratives that are compelling for key audiences
- Thrive in a fast paced environment; must be comfortable pushing out large volume of work in short timelines when necessary
- Are someone who never misses a period and has an appreciation of the Oxford comma
- Know the AP handbook like the back of your hand
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. This position may require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to DroneSeed versus other opportunities.