Specialist, Forest Nursery Operations
Olympia, WA /
Supply Chain – Nursery Operations /
DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. Our mission is simple: we want to make reforestation scalable. With the largest forestry company in the world planting only 1-million-acres per year (400-million to 700-million trees) it would take several hundred years to replant this deficit with current tools. That’s where our technology using drone swarms, survey and data collection, and proprietary seed delivery vessels can substantially help. We work primarily in post-wildfire environments to support revegetation using heavy lift drone swarms. We’ve pioneered seed vessels and tailored them to survive in different ecosystems. Our aerial survey and data collection process allows us to microsite terrain and deliver the right seed prescription to precise ground locations. We continually integrate rapidly evolving aircraft and hardware technology which enables us to operate in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments.
We also use our tools to support critical elements of the forest regeneration pipeline, specifically for production of seed and seedlings for reforestation. This is a growing part of our business, and demands the same urgency and and focus on scalability that we apply to our pioneering drone operations.
DroneSeed is focused on a future in which seed, seedlings, and drone operations are utilized to reforest after wildfire and generate carbon credits. DroneSeed is focused on becoming the largest generator of carbon credits from natural based solutions. Carbon credits are already a $200B+ industry in the EU and the $4B US industry is expected to grow as already major forest managers have converted areas to ‘Carbon Farms’ to finance operations in other areas. In addition to the financial opportunity, DroneSeed is focused on the ecological imperative to develop better tools to reduce the growing reforestation debt in which 13% of US Forest Land has few to no trees--much of this on government land.
DroneSeed is a Techstars alumni founded in 2016 to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. We work with 3 of the 5 largest timber companies in the United States, other private landowners, State and Federal entities, and are backed by partners like Social Capital, Spero Ventures, the 1st CEO of DocuSign, and others focused on solving the world’s hardest problems.
What you'll be doing:
As a Specialist with our Forest Nursery Operations team you will be instrumental in supporting all growing, packing, and distribution of container and bareroot seedlings for a high volume commercial forest nursery. You will be joining a growing team and serving essential functions to support container and field grown (bareroot) seedling production. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of working as team member in a high volume forest nursery and seed operation, we’d love to speak with you.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Produce quality forest seedling crops by applying effective nursery practices and principles
- Assist, coordinate, and train forest nursery workers in required nursery work activities
- Mix fertilizers and check electrical conductivity (EC) readings before and after irrigations
- Take daily block weights while scouting for pests and diseases
- Monitor and measure crop growth rates and conducting audits on lifted crops
- Keep neat and accurate records including computerized record keeping systems
- Implement and operate analog, computerized and other control systems
- Assist with greenhouse sanitization practices
- Maintain, repair and upgrade nursery facilities as needed
- Follow a company directed IPM program, applying pesticides as needed
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years relevant work experience (or AS/BS) degree, in forestry/agriculture/horticulture
- Strong teamwork skills including respectfulness, strong communications and listening skills, reliability, and conflict management.
- Resourceful and adaptable to new and changing technologies, processes, and environments.
- Must be willing to learn and follow regulatory guidance and procedures.
- Experience and comfort in greenhouse and outdoor climates (heat/cold)
- Excellent judgement with a clear “safety-first” mentality
- Successful applicants must complete internal training for pesticide applicator certificate
- Must be reliable and have transportation - no public transit is available
- Shift work and weekend work is required – regular hours are 37.5 per week with varying shift times by grow season
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We're focused on making a positive impact on the environment. We value a highly diverse team, have an awesome office culture, support and encourage collaboration, and have locations in Seattle (Ballard) and Olympia. Taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. We have a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need; we don’t track vacation or sick time.
Candidates must be eligible to work at the DroneSeed Forest Nursery located near Olympia, WA.
DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of working as team in a high volume forest nursery and seed operation, we’d love to speak with you.