Specialist, Forest Nursery Operations
Roy, Washington /
Supply Chain – Nursery Operations /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. Trees are highly effective at carbon removal, but scaling reforestation has significant obstacles--and that gets our team fired up about how we can build solutions using technology. We’ve built DroneSeed, and acquired and combined it with 130-year-old Silvaseed to be a one-stop-shop for reforestation and remove obstacles at each of four steps:
- Seed. Natural regeneration after wildfire is in decline due to climate change resulting in larger fires of higher severity. These factors eliminate seed stored in the soil for regeneration. This creates challenges for seed supply. To respond we’ve expanded Silvaseed to become the largest private seed bank in the west and the first call for land managers affected by fire.
- Grow space. There’s not enough nursery greenhouse capacity to grow seedlings (link). We’re currently growing millions of seedlings per year at Silvaseed and, while we’re doubling that output, we’re creating a replicable method to scale further.
- Better tools for labor. We need better tools to accomplish more reforestation faster. DroneSeed is utilizing heavy lift drone swarms to deliver seed vessels after wildfire and boost seed establishment in combination with seedlings that are interplanted later.
- Finance. For the last 20 years, carbon offsets haven’t provided capital for the high-up front costs of reforestation. Landowners have had to rely on limited grant funding. Repayment periods were 25 years or more and reforestation projects were exceedingly rare. That changed two years ago when third-party certifier Climate Action Reserve (CAR) announced the Climate Forward protocol to conservatively forecast the carbon tonne removals as reforested trees grow. DroneSeed is developing one of the first projects using this protocol. This and future projects following the protocol will be protected by legal easements on replanted and re-seeded land, monitored by state-accredited land trusts, and have insurance buffer pools in place in case fire occurs again. Under the CAR protocol, DroneSeed is generating the most transparent, highest-quality forestry-based carbon offsets on the market from reforestation projects.
We need to overcome these four reforestation challenges to build back--even a fraction of--the forests we lose from wildfires every year. That's why we set out to build a model to make reforestation scaleable, which requires expanding the supply chain systems and financial flywheels behind them. That is the mission: make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
DroneSeed HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Team Size: ~100
Leadership Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Director of Account Management), Matthew Aghai (Senior Director of Bio R&D), Arnoud de Villegas (Senior Director of Business Development), Katherine Wong-Velasco (Director of Talent Acquisition) and Mary Caroline Pruitt (Senior Director of Marketing & Communications)
Notable Investors: Marc Tarpenning co-founder Tesla, Tobi Lutke CEO Shopify, Alexis Ohanian co-founder Reddit, Marc Benioff, Court Lorenzini 1st CEO DocuSign
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, Non-profits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
What you'll be doing:
As a Specialist with our Forest Nursery Operations team you will be instrumental in supporting all growing, packing, and distribution of container and bareroot seedlings for a high volume commercial forest nursery. You will be joining a growing team and serving essential functions to support container and field grown (bareroot) seedling production. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of working as team member in a high volume forest nursery and seed operation, we’d love to speak with you.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Produce quality forest seedling crops by applying effective nursery practices and principles
- Assist, coordinate, and train forest nursery workers in required nursery work activities
- Mix fertilizers and check electrical conductivity (EC) readings before and after irrigations
- Take daily block weights while scouting for pests and diseases
- Monitor and measure crop growth rates and conducting audits on lifted crops
- Keep neat and accurate records including computerized record keeping systems
- Implement and operate analog, computerized and other control systems
- Assist with greenhouse sanitization practices
- Maintain, repair and upgrade nursery facilities as needed
- Follow a company directed IPM program, applying pesticides as needed
Desired Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years relevant work experience (or AS/BS) degree, in forestry/agriculture/horticulture
- Strong teamwork skills including respectfulness, strong communications and listening skills, reliability, and conflict management.
- Resourceful and adaptable to new and changing technologies, processes, and environments.
- Must be willing to learn and follow regulatory guidance and procedures.
- Experience and comfort in greenhouse and outdoor climates (heat/cold)
- Excellent judgement with a clear “safety-first” mentality
- Successful applicants must complete internal training for pesticide applicator certificate within 30 days, ideally.
- Must be reliable and have transportation - no public transit is available
- Shift work and weekend work is required – regular hours are 37.5 per week with varying shift times by grow season
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We're focused on making a positive impact on the environment. We value a highly diverse team, have an awesome office culture, support and encourage collaboration, and have locations in Seattle (Ballard) and Roy. Taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. We have a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need; we don’t track vacation or sick time.
Candidates must be eligible to work at the DroneSeed Forest Nursery located near Olympia, WA.
DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of working as team in a high volume forest nursery and seed operation, we’d love to speak with you.