Systems Support Engineer
Seattle, Washington /
Technology – Engineering /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. It would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools.
Our technology speeds up the process. DroneSeed uses heavy-lift drone swarms to reforest at scale after 🔥. We cut time to reforest from 3 years to 3 months. We’ve pioneered the drones and the backend required to operate swarms as a delivery solution over rough terrain. We survey sites and deliver to targeted areas of soil proprietary seed vessels that boost seed survival. Utilizing carbon credits, we double landowner investment in 18 months addressing the financial barriers to reforestation.
- Passionate about the environment and combating climate change
- You love to dive deep on critical technical areas and own them — discover root problems, what solutions exist, which ones should we use, and why
- You keep things running and reliable; when you are not actively fixing known issues, you are improving system observability and capacity to fix new problems that arise
- No-ego output — welcoming of good faith, respectful, constructive criticism
- You consider safety a unambiguous moral and ethical imperative; you understand that systems that are uncrewed can still be dangerous
- Four-year/advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, a related field, or consummate independent experience.
What the role looks like
- Working with maintenance technicians to tackle the thorniest issues we find in our extremely challenging work environments
- Building and improving equipment used by our operations group - seed vessel deployment systems, fleet support vehicles, and ground control systems
- Work collaboratively with engineers to prioritize and build features and systems for safety and reliability
How we work
- We are a centralized tech team, and not officially embedded in other departments
- Our process prioritizes quality, peer review, rigorous testing, and reliability as much as is feasible
- A focus on user stories with dynamic (Kanban) style prioritization, driven by Objectives and Key Results (OKRs)
A plus if you have experience with
- Forest science, silviculture, biology, environmental science, or related work
- Uncrewed and autonomous systems
- Aerospace manufacturing and design
- Industry-standard flight control hardware integration
- Hardware / software in the loop simulation
- Root cause failure analysis
- Hardware / software debugging
- RF systems integration and considerations
- Design for environments with high electrical / mechanical noise
- Hardware-software integration
Benefits of working at DroneSeed:
We're focused on making a positive impact on the environment. We value a highly diverse team, have a supportive and collaborative office culture conveniently located in north Seattle (Ballard). Taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. We have a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need; we don’t track vacation or sick time.
Candidates must be eligible to work at DroneSeed HQ in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA. DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and ready to bring your problem solving skills to teams focused on multi-vehicle, heavy-lift drone operations in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments, we’d love to speak with you.