Seattle, Washington /
Marketing and Communications – Marketing /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. Trees are highly effective at carbon removal, but scaling reforestation has significant obstacles--and that gets our team fired up about how we can build solutions using technology. We’ve built DroneSeed, and acquired and combined it with 130-year-old Silvaseed to be a one-stop-shop for reforestation and remove obstacles at each of four steps:
- Seed. Natural regeneration after wildfire is in decline due to climate change resulting in larger fires of higher severity. These factors eliminate seed stored in the soil for regeneration. This creates challenges for seed supply. To respond we’ve expanded Silvaseed to become the largest private seed bank in the west and the first call for land managers affected by fire.
- Grow space. There’s not enough nursery greenhouse capacity to grow seedlings (link). We’re currently growing millions of seedlings per year at Silvaseed and, while we’re doubling that output, we’re creating a replicable method to scale further.
- Better tools for labor. We need better tools to accomplish more reforestation faster. DroneSeed is utilizing heavy lift drone swarms to deliver seed vessels after wildfire and boost seed establishment in combination with seedlings that are interplanted later.
- Finance. For the last 20 years, carbon offsets haven’t provided capital for the high-up front costs of reforestation. Landowners have had to rely on limited grant funding. Repayment periods were 25 years or more and reforestation projects were exceedingly rare. That changed two years ago when third-party certifier Climate Action Reserve (CAR) announced the Climate Forward protocol to conservatively forecast the carbon tonne removals as reforested trees grow. DroneSeed is developing one of the first projects using this protocol. This and future projects following the protocol will be protected by legal easements on replanted and re-seeded land, monitored by state-accredited land trusts, and have insurance buffer pools in place in case fire occurs again. Under the CAR protocol, DroneSeed is generating the most transparent, highest-quality forestry-based carbon offsets on the market from reforestation projects.
We need to overcome these four reforestation challenges to build back--even a fraction of--the forests we lose from wildfires every year. That's why we set out to build a model to make reforestation scaleable, which requires expanding the supply chain systems and financial flywheels behind them. That is the mission: make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
DroneSeed HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Team Size: ~100
Leadership Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Director of Account Management), Matthew Aghai (Senior Director of Bio R&D), Arnoud de Villegas (Senior Director of Business Development), Katherine Wong-Velasco (Director of Talent Acquisition) and Mary Caroline Pruitt (Senior Director of Marketing & Communications)
Notable Investors: Marc Tarpenning co-founder Tesla, Tobi Lutke CEO Shopify, Alexis Ohanian co-founder Reddit, Marc Benioff, Court Lorenzini 1st CEO DocuSign
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, Non-profits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
What you’ll be doing:
As part of the marketing and comms team, you will be responsible for leading all marketing efforts to support generating sales and revenues. You will work in close collaboration with the Client Solutions (our newly formed sales team), Business development, science and research teams to use a variety of marketing tactics and strategies to help drive revenue growth, sales, new business and partnerships. You will oversee lead generation, website development and content curation/creation, and marketing collateral to support cross-functional business and sales teams. This role will start as a contract role with the potential to grow into a full time role. Location: Seattle is preferred, but we're open to remote for the right candidate.
- You will collaborate with the Business Development (BD) and Client Solutions (CS) teams to positively impact lead generation and optimize on the overall sales process.
- You will define the sales/marketing toolkit, including developing all case studies, articles, slide decks, and positive testimonials to support sales with acquiring new customers.
- You will create pre and post-sales content that highlight the benefits of DroneSeed’s products and services tailored specifically to DroneSeed’s many different audiences.
- You will ideate and manage event strategies and executions to reach foresters, landowners, and other key audiences.
- You will work with CS and BD to positively impact every step of the sales process, including increasing lead generation, optimizing at the top of the funnel to create less friction for customers, and reducing the sales cycle.
- You will partner with internal and external stakeholders to execute campaigns that drive awareness and adoption on an ongoing basis and to track metrics to evaluate performance.
- You will measure, quantify, and report results on campaign performance, constantly developing new ideas and testing/iterating upon those that stick.
- You have 5-8 years of marketing experience, ideally at either an agency or in a high-growth, in-house role.
- You are a strategic thinker with experience in content creation, storytelling and summarizing complex topics in simple concepts.
- You are data driven and experienced in quantifying ROI on marketing efforts.
- You effectively collaborate cross-functionally with an outstanding ability to think creatively, identifying and resolving problems.
- You have the ability to perform in fast-paced environments, acting with high levels of integrity, autonomy and self-motivation.
- You have experience in developing campaign strategies, and executing alongside a team utilizing Hubspot, Google Analytics or a software equivalent to implement campaigns and quantify/measure/report results.
- You have knowledge of technical tools to help campaign efforts be more effective.
- You enjoy working with a team to help tackle different roles needed to complete a successful campaign.
- You have experience planning, executing, and tracking the following types of marketing campaigns: Community-Building, Event Planning & Execution, Product Marketing, Brand Development & Execution, Email Marketing, Content Marketing, User-Generated Content, Direct Mail, Affiliate Marketing, Social Media, Acquisition Marketing, and Paid Marketing / Advertising.
- You are passionate about the environment and climate change.
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. This position may require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to DroneSeed versus other opportunities.