Software Engineer Intern
Tech – Engineering
DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. Our mission is simple: we want to make reforestation scalable. With the largest forestry company in the world planting only 1-million-acres per year (400-million to 700-million trees) it would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools. That’s where our technology using drone swarms, survey and data collection, and proprietary seed delivery vessels can substantially help.
We work in post-wildfire environments to plant native trees and vegetation using heavy lift drone swarms. We’ve pioneered seed vessels and tailored them to survive in different ecosystems. Our aerial survey and data collection process allows us to microsite terrain and deliver the right seed prescription to precise ground locations. We continually integrate rapidly evolving aircraft and hardware technology which enables us to operate in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments.
DroneSeed is a Techstars alumni founded in 2016 to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. We work with 3 of the 5 largest timber companies in the United States, and are backed by partners like Social Capital, Spero Ventures, the co-founder of DocuSign, and others focused on solving the world’s hardest problems.
What you’ll be doing:
The software we write and the systems we enable will help our customers plant millions of trees in the United States and abroad. You’ll help us design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve DroneSeed's proprietary software.
Projects you may be supporting:
- Remote Sensing and classification of spatial data.
- Networking and distributed systems.
- Onboard sensors and software for unmanned aircraft and deployment systems.
- Distributed log collection and centralization.
- Demonstrated proficiency in technical problem solving and related debugging.
- Currently enrolled in or recently completed a Bachelor’s degree program in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Information Technology or a related field.
- A solid grasp of networking fundamentals.
- Experience with a modern programming language such as C, Python, Java or similar language.
- Experience with robotics/drones, automation, machine learning, software for GIS work.
- Proficient in analyzing failure mode analysis in complex distributed systems.
Benefits of working at DroneSeed:
- A mission that matters - we’re making reforestation scalable.
- Fly drones; program drones.
- Small company - our culture is forming join us as we craft it.
- Take your dog to work, or not.
- Unlimited coffee & tea from a giant iPad looking machine.
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work at DroneSeed HQ in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA.
DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and eager to build systems to operate heavy lift drones in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments, we’d love to speak with you.