Sr. Scientist, Research & Development
Research & Development
DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. Our mission is simple: we want to make reforestation scalable. With the largest forestry company in the world planting only 1-million-acres per year (400-million to 700-million trees) it would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools. That’s where our technology using drone swarms, survey and data collection, and proprietary seed delivery vessels can substantially help.
We work in post-wildfire environments to plant native trees and vegetation using heavy lift drone swarms. We’ve pioneered seed vessels and tailored them to survive in different ecosystems. Our aerial survey and data collection process allows us to microsite terrain and deliver the right seed prescription to precise ground locations. We continually integrate rapidly evolving aircraft and hardware technology which enables us to operate in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments.
DroneSeed is a Techstars alumni founded in 2016 to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. We work with 3 of the 5 largest timber companies in the United States, and are backed by partners like Social Capital, Spero Ventures, the co-founder of DocuSign, and others focused on solving the world’s hardest problems.
What you'll be doing:
As a Sr. Scientist, Research & Development you will be assisting with the development or refinement of prototypes for scalable seed enhancement/enablement technology for primarily tree species but also for myriad native plants. This will require a strong understanding of native plant seed biology and plant physiology, but also some community ecology and biogeochemistry relevant to the ecosystems in which we work.
- Masters with 3+ year experience or PhD (preferred), or an advanced degree in the realm of applied biological sciences, natural resource management, ecology, forestry, or agriculture/horticulture.
- Experience in the areas of laboratory, greenhouse, and field work for plant propagation.
- Experience developing, implementing, conducting vigor and stress testing protocols for seeds/plants.
- Experience working with interdisciplinary team on complex and multiphase projects
- Proficiency with experimental design and implementation, data analysis and visualization.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Passionate and self-motivated with a penchant for innovation.
- Experimental biologist having worked with seed-based propagation for applied revegetation projects.
Benefits of working at DroneSeed:
We offer great healthcare benefits, an awesome office culture, unlimited PTO, and are conveniently located in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA.
Candidates must be eligible to work at DroneSeed HQ in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA.
DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission, love fast-paced experimental science, and can help with the rapid prototyping and development of seed-based planting products, we’d love to speak with you!