Senior Operations Forester
Seattle, Washington /
Operations – Ground Operations /
About Mast Reforestation:
Mast Reforestation is working to make reforestation scalable. We combine tech and traditional forestry methods to reforest land affected by wildfires with forward-looking carbon offsets to fund it all. The company is a vertically-integrated provider of reforestation services to get projects up and running in weeks, not years: planning, the largest seed and seedling supplies in the West, massive nursery operations, and seeding and planting execution. To fund its operations and open new revenue streams for landowners, Mast Reforestation sells forward-looking carbon offsets that lock in CO2 removal for at least 100 years, among the first of their kind available on the voluntary offset market.
Mast Reforestation HQ (formerly DroneSeed): Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Cal Forest HQ: Etna, CA
Team size: ~160
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, nonprofits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
TL:DR? Check out this Ecopreneurs video by Salesforce.
If our work thrills and inspires you, we’d love to receive your application!
Successful forestry projects require a combination of domain expertise and the ability to work with a constellation of stakeholders to get the job done. As the Senior Operations Forester at Mast Reforestation, you will build and grow a team of forestry professionals to ensure that our carbon projects are done well, resiliently, and provide outcomes that delight landowners while furthering our mission to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
**Location: Remote in the Pacific Northwest / Northern California with Frequent Travel**
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Hire and mentor a team of forestry professionals who will be the subject matter experts in each Mast Reforestation forestry project from the scoping and design phase through implementation and confirmation as a forest carbon project.
- Ensure team expertise across a variety of regional ecosystems in Western North America.
- Serve as a team subject matter expert in the scope, design, and execution of large scale forestry projects and related forest carbon project development requirements.
- Develop a deep network of regional consulting foresters and help team partner effectively with this community to write forest regeneration prescriptions for climate and wildfire resilient forests.
- Develop company playbooks and guide team in industry-leading techniques for site preparation, planting, and monitoring.
- Develop company playbooks for sourcing, hiring, operational-level training and supervision of contractors and their crews, including as they relate to cone collections, vegetation management, seedling outplanting, and surveying. Assist with sourcing of contractors as needed.
- Provide onsite supervision and support to team members as appropriate.
- Drive third party partner engagement with agencies and other stakeholders needed to deliver at-scale carbon projects.
- Represent Mast Reforestation at industry events and contribute to the company’s industry leadership
What you’ll be doing:
- A deep understanding of various ecosystems, post-catastrophic wildfire conditions, and the complexity of considerations for regenerating climate and wildfire resilient forests
- Detail technical knowledge of leading edge site preparation, civil engineering, planting, and monitoring techniques
- The ability to scope, design, and implement complex, large-scale forestry projects from end-to-end
- Effective people management and team leadership
- Strong operational experience and the ability to work through third parties to get things done
- The ability to influence and partner with a variety of stakeholders
- M.Sc., PhD or equivalent experience in the realm of applied forest ecology, forestry or wildland management 10+ years of experience as a practicing field operations forester
- Experience with artificial regeneration and/or restoration of forested ecosystems, preferably post-fire
- Knowledge of major carbon protocols and their implications on forestry projects
- Licensed Registered Professional Forester or equivalent certification or expertise in California, Oregon, and/or Washington state
Benefits of working at Mast Reforestation:
We're focused on making a positive impact on the environment. We value a highly diverse team, have a supportive and collaborative office culture conveniently located in north Seattle (Ballard). Taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums if you are a non-seasonal fulltime employee. We have a flexible vacation policy, so take time off you need; we don’t track vacation or sick time.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and willing to visit client sites frequently. Mast Reforestation is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. Suppose you’re deeply committed to our mission and ready to bring your problem-solving skills to teams focused on multi-vehicle, heavy-lift drone operations in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments. In that case, we’d love to speak with you.
The compensation package includes a base salary and an incentive package. As of January 2023, the geo-located base salary for this role falls within this band: $100,000 to $140,000 p.a. We'll determine the candidate's level based on their experience and skill level.
Mast Reforestation and its subsidiaries offer:
- Competitive salary
- Location-based compensation
- 75% health insurance coverage for Full-Time non-seasonal employees, including Medical, Dental & Vision insurance plans
- Company’s incentive stock options (ISO)
- Retirement saving plan: 401(k) and Roth 401(k)
- Commuter Benefits in eligible cities
- 6 paid holidays. Two shut-down weeks per year.
- Flexible PTO for Salaried employees. Generous PTO accrual for Hourly employees.
- Annual allowances for Work-from-home employees
- Relocation support for out-of-state employees