Associate I, Bio Tech
Seattle, Washington /
Research & Development – Biology Operations /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. It would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools.
Our technology speeds up the process. DroneSeed uses heavy-lift drone swarms to reforest at scale after 🔥. We cut time to reforest from 3 years to 3 months. We’ve pioneered the drones and the backend required to operate swarms as a delivery solution over rough terrain. We survey sites and deliver to targeted areas of soil proprietary seed vessels that boost seed survival. Utilizing carbon credits, we double landowner investment in 18 months addressing the financial barriers to reforestation.
You are an enthusiastic natural resource science technician, experienced in lab and field work, and ready to assist with innovative research projects. You will assist with the distribution and monitoring seedlings, seed, and seed vessels across several remote field sites and at greenhouse and other trial locations, in a manner that is consistent with project objectives. You will assist with the mapping, write-up, and logging of relevant data at the experimental sites, greenhouse and lab locations, and be accountable to the repeat monitoring efforts as needed. You will report to the Director of Research and Development and be guided by a Seattle-based team, and have the opportunity to work from headquarters in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle, WA.
- Function as member of a team in monitoring reforestation projects across the Western United States, primarily focusing on the Pacific Northwest and California
- Familiarity with biological systems, specifically plants and seed
- Willingness to travel regionally and work full days in variable weather conditions and terrain, prioritizing safety, up to 50% - 70% of the time
- Strong teamwork skills including respectfulness, strong communication and listening skills, reliability, and conflict management
- Ability and willingness to carry up to 45lbs of materials in outdoor settings
- Excellent judgment with clear “safety-first” mentality, and a commitment to a safe work environment that promotes equity, inclusion, and diversity
- Reporting using Microsoft and Google software (e.g. Word, Excel, PPT, Gsheets, Gdocs, etc.)
- Willingness and ability to on occasion handle biological and chemical materials, such as fertilizers, soils, seed, and biological deterrents; this will include wearing appropriate safety equipment such as gloves and masks when projects require
- Experience driving large pickups on forest roads
- Must hold a current and valid Drivers License
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge or experience in forestry, botany, environmental science, or a related field is a plus.
- Experience with GPS tools, and cursory experience with GIS (e.g. use a Garmin product to navigate, collect data points, and download/upload maps for projects)
- Experienced with data collection (analog and digital), and familiar with computing tools and software required to collect, upload and communicate project information
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We're focused on making a positive impact on the environment. We value a highly diverse team, have a mix of fixed office and remote workforce, and optimize for maximum collaboration. Our headquarters is located in Seattle (Ballard), Washington but we have employees across the Pacific Northwest, New Zealand, and New York State. Taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. Finally, you earn PTO which can be used for vacation or sick time so you can take the time you need to recharge.
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work at DroneSeed HQ in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA. DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and love fast-paced work environments we’d love to speak with you!