Head of People Ops
Seattle, Washington /
People & Culture – Operations /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. It would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools.
Our technology speeds up the process. DroneSeed uses heavy-lift drone swarms to reforest at scale after 🔥. We cut time to reforest from 3 years to 3 months. We’ve pioneered the drones and the backend required to operate swarms as a delivery solution over rough terrain. We survey sites and deliver to targeted areas of soil proprietary seed vessels that boost seed survival. Utilizing carbon credits, we double landowner investment in 18 months addressing the financial barriers to reforestation.
HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Director, Account Management), Matthew Aghai (Sr. Director, Bio R&D), Arnoud de Villegas (Sr. Director, Business Development)
Team Size: ~75
Market: $272B Carbon Credit Market (Refinitiv Analysis)
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, the Bureau of Land Management
What you'll be doing:
Your objective is to make strategic investments in the current team. This includes baselining the existing team by implementing a performance review process and executing it, selection of training modules, and manager coaching. This is a leadership role reporting directly to the CEO. In addition to these responsibilities, you'll work directly with the CEO on programs to expand the focus on mission, values, and existing culture. There is expected management of third parties to execute or assist in performing these responsibilities. During this high growth phase of the company investment in the team--and this role--is a critical function to the company’s success.
- Make strategic investments in the current team
- Formalize and structure career tracks and training programs to promotion
- Implement a performance review process
- Select third party vendors to assist in training modules and manager coaching
- Plan employee benefits, payroll, health and safety programs.
- Build and implement standardized human resource processes.
- Manage employment law processes with outside legal counsel.
- Create and structure compensation programs to retain top talent.
- Partner with stakeholders and outside vendors to implement HR software systems for better efficiency.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- 7+ years of experience in an HR generalist leadership role, preferably in a high tech environment.
- Able to establish trust and communicate with employees at all levels including technical and non-technical roles.
- Ability to maintain empathy for people despite managing processes with metrics.
- Experience working with fast-moving, high performance teams and driving innovative solutions tailored to unique business environments.
- Experience in coaching senior leaders and managers, and strong talent assessment skills.
- Experience leveraging others social networks as well as those of organizations to people-source talent.
- Strong business acumen and ability to work well across different functions in order to integrate HR and business strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication; high quality document preparation and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as an active member of both business and HR teams.
- Willingness and ability to both be hands on with all levels of the organization as well as serve as a strategic partner to senior leaders.
- Experience working with global teams, and driving organizational change initiatives and developing talent management plans for a global organization.
- Resilient and able to thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment with a high level of energy, ability to delegate and manage others, and self-awareness to take vacation as needed.
- In depth knowledge about local and human resource processes.
- Understanding and experience with employer branding and recruiting marketing strategies.
- Advanced graduate degree (MBA or Masters in HRM preferred).
- Resume that shows steady progression in HR Management for the last 7-10+ years.
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We’re focused on our mission and making a positive impact on the environment. You’ll be a part of a leadership team where 4 of 5 members are from diverse groups. These aspects (and our hiring process) are what have led us to have an awesome office culture and highly collaborative team. In addition, we believe taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. Life outside of work matters. DroneSeed has a flexible vacation policy.
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work at DroneSeed HQ in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA. This position will require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to DroneSeed versus other opportunities. DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of rapidly scaling our People and Culture function, we’d love to speak with you.