Head of People & Culture
Seattle, Washington /
General & Administrative – Executive /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. It would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools.
Our technology speeds up the process. DroneSeed uses heavy-lift drone swarms to reforest at scale after 🔥. We cut time to reforest from 3 years to 3 months. We’ve pioneered the drones and the backend required to operate swarms as a delivery solution over rough terrain. We survey sites and deliver to targeted areas of soil proprietary seed vessels that boost seed survival. Utilizing carbon credits, we double landowner investment in 18 months addressing the financial barriers to reforestation.
HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Dir Account Mgmt), Matthew Aghai (Dir of R&D)
Market: $272B Carbon Credit Market (Refinitiv Analysis)
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, the Bureau of Land Management
What you'll be doing:
Your objective as the first hire in People and Culture (HR) is to scale the existing hiring process, guard its essential properties, as well as take care of the internal team with compensation and benefits planning. This is a leadership role reporting directly to the CEO. During this high growth phase of the company the hiring process is a critical function to the company’s success. You will cultivate a diverse top-of-funnel and through-funnel process. You will focus on ensuring that the process continues to evaluate candidates based on company values and is performed by a diverse panel of employees (including high/low rank and time-at-company). You will be responsible for evaluating and improving both the hiring and onboarding process based on metrics of time, cost, and candidate's net-promoter score.
You will also manage third parties including multi-year relationships with recruiters for candidate screening and 3rd party technology providers for onboarding. Along with an employee manual, you’ll manage seating and hot-desks in a new CV19 world for all employees across multiple buildings in two states. For the next foreseeable years you and future reports will not sit in an isolated “HR” section of an office but will be embedded with teams to understand their work and needs in the highest form of “servant leadership” with ample access to conference rooms.
- Be the guardian of culture particularly as our team ramps hiring and retains talent.
- Scale our recruitment, interview, selection, and hiring processes.
- Plan employee benefits, payroll, health and safety programs.
- Build and implement standardized human resource processes.
- Manage employment law processes with outside legal counsel.
- Create and structure compensation program to attract and retain top talent.
- Partner with stakeholders and outside vendors to implement HR software systems for better efficiency.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- 7+ years of experience in an HR generalist leadership role, preferably in a high tech environment.
- Able to establish trust and communicate with employees at all levels including technical and non-technical roles.
- Ability to maintain empathy for people despite managing processes with metrics.
- Experience working with fast-moving, high performance teams and driving innovative solutions tailored to unique business environments.
- Experience in coaching senior leaders and managers, and strong talent assessment skills.
- Experience leveraging others social networks as well as those of organizations to people-source talent.
- Strong business acumen and ability to work well across different functions in order to integrate HR and business strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication; high quality document preparation and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as an active member of both business and HR teams.
- Willingness and ability to both be hands on with all levels of the organization as well as serve as a strategic partner to senior leaders.
- Experience working with global teams, and driving organizational change initiatives and developing talent management plans for a global organization.
- Resilient and able to thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment with a high level of energy, ability to delegate and manage others, and self-awareness to take vacation as needed.
- In depth knowledge about local and human resource processes.
- Understanding and experience with employer branding and recruiting marketing strategies.
- Advanced graduate degree (MBA or Masters in HRM preferred).
- Resume that shows steady progression in HR Management for the last 7-10+ years.
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We’re focused on our mission and making a positive impact on the environment. You’ll be a part of a leadership team where 4 of 5 members are from diverse groups. These aspects (and our hiring process) are what have led us to have an awesome office culture and highly collaborative team. In addition, we believe taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. Life outside of work matters. DroneSeed has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need - we don’t track vacation or sick time.
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work at DroneSeed HQ in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA. This position will require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to DroneSeed versus other opportunities. DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of rapidly scaling our People and Culture function, we’d love to speak with you.