Systems Engineer Intern
Tech – Engineering
DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. Our mission is simple: we want to make reforestation scalable. With the largest forestry company in the world planting only 1-million-acres per year (400-million to 700-million trees) it would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools. That’s where our technology using drone swarms, survey and data collection, and proprietary seed delivery vessels can substantially help.
We work in post-wildfire environments to plant native trees and vegetation using heavy lift drone swarms. We’ve pioneered seed vessels and tailored them to survive in different ecosystems. Our aerial survey and data collection process allows us to microsite terrain and deliver the right seed prescription to precise ground locations. We continually integrate rapidly evolving aircraft and hardware technology which enables us to operate in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments.
DroneSeed is a Techstars alumni founded in 2016 to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. We work with 3 of the 5 largest timber companies in the United States, and are backed by partners like Social Capital, Spero Ventures, the co-founder of DocuSign, and others focused on solving the world’s hardest problems.
The systems we build will help our us and our customers plant millions of trees in the United States and abroad. You’ll help us design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve DroneSeed's proprietary systems and hardware. Here are some of the projects you may be working on:
What you will be doing
- Build, repair, and maintain equipment necessary for operations
- Rapidly prototype new hardware components
- Test and document prototype designs
- Integrate new UAS components, including motors, ESCs, flight controllers, airframe components, sensors, etc.
What we are looking for
- Currently enrolled in or recently completed a BSc/MSc degree program in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical or Systems Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with prototyping, integration and testing.
- Experience with CAD software
Nice to haves
- Proficient in failure mode analysis and resiliency engineering in complex distributed systems
- Experience with radio communication links and GPS/INS Systems
- Experience with robotics/drones, electrical systems design, interface design (hardware/software/firmware).
- Experience with Python, Matlab or similar scripting programming language.
Candidates must be eligible to work at DroneSeed HQ in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA.
DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and eager to build systems to operate heavy lift drones in some of the world’s most challenging terrain environments, we’d love to speak with you.