Senior Visual Designer
Seattle, Washington /
Marketing and Communications – Marketing /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. Trees are highly effective at carbon removal, but scaling reforestation has significant obstacles--and that gets our team fired up about how we can build solutions using technology. We’ve built DroneSeed, and acquired and combined it with 130-year-old Silvaseed to be a one-stop-shop for reforestation and remove obstacles at each of four steps:
- Seed. Natural regeneration after wildfire is in decline due to climate change resulting in larger fires of higher severity. These factors eliminate seed stored in the soil for regeneration. This creates challenges for seed supply. To respond we’ve expanded Silvaseed to become the largest private seed bank in the west and the first call for land managers affected by fire.
- Grow space. There’s not enough nursery greenhouse capacity to grow seedlings (link). We’re currently growing millions of seedlings per year at Silvaseed and, while we’re doubling that output, we’re creating a replicable method to scale further.
- Better tools for labor. We need better tools to accomplish more reforestation faster. DroneSeed is utilizing heavy lift drone swarms to deliver seed vessels after wildfire and boost seed establishment in combination with seedlings that are interplanted later.
- Finance. For the last 20 years, carbon offsets haven’t provided capital for the high-up front costs of reforestation. Landowners have had to rely on limited grant funding. Repayment periods were 25 years or more and reforestation projects were exceedingly rare. That changed two years ago when third-party certifier Climate Action Reserve (CAR) announced the Climate Forward protocol to conservatively forecast the carbon tonne removals as reforested trees grow. DroneSeed is developing one of the first projects using this protocol. This and future projects following the protocol will be protected by legal easements on replanted and re-seeded land, monitored by state-accredited land trusts, and have insurance buffer pools in place in case fire occurs again. Under the CAR protocol, DroneSeed is generating the most transparent, highest-quality forestry-based carbon offsets on the market from reforestation projects.
We need to overcome these four reforestation challenges to build back--even a fraction of--the forests we lose from wildfires every year. That's why we set out to build a model to make reforestation scaleable, which requires expanding the supply chain systems and financial flywheels behind them. That is the mission: make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
DroneSeed HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Team Size: ~100
Leadership Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Director of Account Management), Matthew Aghai (Senior Director of Bio R&D), Arnoud de Villegas (Senior Director of Business Development), Katherine Wong-Velasco (Director of Talent Acquisition) and Mary Caroline Pruitt (Senior Director of Marketing & Communications)
Notable Investors: Marc Tarpenning co-founder Tesla, Tobi Lutke CEO Shopify, Alexis Ohanian co-founder Reddit, Marc Benioff, Court Lorenzini 1st CEO DocuSign
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, Non-profits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
**We are in US Pacific time zone. Please confirm that you're able to work between 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, US Pacific time zone.**
What you’ll be doing:
As DroneSeed’s first dedicated visual designer, you’ll have the freedom to inspire and engage our team and audiences like never before. In this role, you have the opportunity to evolve, manage, and advocate for our brand across social media, websites, slide decks, email, print, internal documents, and more. You’ll deliver a wide variety of presentations and marketing collateral from concept to execution. Collaborators include (but are not limited to) the director of marketing and the senior leadership team.
-Grow the visual identity and user experience of the DroneSeed brand
-Advocate for design; educating and enabling others to create on-brand experiences to ensure consistent quality and rationale
-Develop a library of modular visual assets to support marketing and leadership objectives
-Collaboratively create pitch materials and slide decks for presenting to customers, partners, and investors
-Inform and align stakeholders throughout the creative process, regularly reviewing the status of projects with appropriate leadership to verify that project expectations are met
- Approach problem-solving as an iterative process
- Easily work within a self-directed culture
- Switch willingly between complex problems and production work
- Bring a consultative and collaborative approach
- Work well with a low-ego, highly collaborative, cross-functional team
- Exhibit a strong curiosity to learn the business, market, and technologies
- 3-5 years of experience as a lead visual designer
- Successful track-record visualizing creative strategies for go-to-market communications
- Prior experience developing a brand identity and/or design frameworks
Show case time!
- As part of your application, include a link or PDF of your portfolio of recent work, highlighting your abilities and experience relevant to the role. Please note that we are unable to accept any applications without a portfolio.
- Also, we know it’s tough, but please try to avoid the confidence gap. You don’t have to match all the listed requirements exactly to be considered for this role.
- We will consider every application carefully and holistically, so please don’t hesitate to introduce yourself—even if you have a less-traditional professional history or don’t tick every box above. Please note that a college degree is not required for this role!
**This is a Contract-to-Hire position. The initial 90 days would require an approximate 30 to 40 hours of commitment per week. After three months, subject to the business needs, we will support the right caliber to transit into the full-time employee status at DroneSeed. Please provide your weekly availability and expected compensation in your application. Thank you.**
Benefits of working at DroneSeed:
We’re focused on our mission and making a positive impact on the environment. Leadership & Board: 7 of 8 leadership identify as either non-male, LGBTQ+, person of color, minority, immigrant, or veteran. Three of seven board members identify as female or a person of color. These aspects (and our hiring process) are what have led us to have an awesome office culture and highly collaborative team.
Additional benefits for FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES: Taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. Life outside of work matters. DroneSeed has a flexible paid time off policy, so take the time off you need - we don’t track vacation or sick time.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. This position will require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to DroneSeed versus other opportunities. DroneSeed is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of leading in a fast-growing design function, we’d love to speak with you.