Sr. Manager, Product Management
Seattle, Washington /
Product Management – Product /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. Trees are highly effective at carbon removal, but scaling reforestation has significant obstacles--and that gets our team fired up about how we can build solutions using technology. We’ve built DroneSeed, and acquired and combined it with 130-year-old Silvaseed to be a one-stop-shop for reforestation and remove obstacles at each of four steps:
- Seed. Natural regeneration after wildfire is in decline due to climate change resulting in larger fires of higher severity. These factors eliminate seed stored in the soil for regeneration. This creates challenges for seed supply. To respond we’ve expanded Silvaseed to become the largest private seed bank in the west and the first call for land managers affected by fire.
- Grow space. There’s not enough nursery greenhouse capacity to grow seedlings (link). We’re currently growing millions of seedlings per year at Silvaseed and, while we’re doubling that output, we’re creating a replicable method to scale further.
- Better tools for labor. We need better tools to accomplish more reforestation faster. DroneSeed is utilizing heavy lift drone swarms to deliver seed vessels after wildfire and boost seed establishment in combination with seedlings that are interplanted later.
- Finance. For the last 20 years, carbon offsets haven’t provided capital for the high-up front costs of reforestation. Landowners have had to rely on limited grant funding. Repayment periods were 25 years or more and reforestation projects were exceedingly rare. That changed two years ago when third-party certifier Climate Action Reserve (CAR) announced the Climate Forward protocol to conservatively forecast the carbon tonne removals as reforested trees grow. DroneSeed is developing one of the first projects using this protocol. This and future projects following the protocol will be protected by legal easements on replanted and re-seeded land, monitored by state-accredited land trusts, and have insurance buffer pools in place in case fire occurs again. Under the CAR protocol, DroneSeed is generating the most transparent, highest-quality forestry-based carbon offsets on the market from reforestation projects.
We need to overcome these four reforestation challenges to build back--even a fraction of--the forests we lose from wildfires every year. That's why we set out to build a model to make reforestation scaleable, which requires expanding the supply chain systems and financial flywheels behind them. That is the mission: make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
DroneSeed HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Team Size: ~100
Leadership Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Director of Account Management), Matthew Aghai (Senior Director of Bio R&D), Arnoud de Villegas (Senior Director of Business Development), Katherine Wong-Velasco (Director of Talent Acquisition) and Mary Caroline Pruitt (Senior Director of Marketing & Communications)
Notable Investors: Marc Tarpenning co-founder Tesla, Tobi Lutke CEO Shopify, Alexis Ohanian co-founder Reddit, Marc Benioff, Court Lorenzini 1st CEO DocuSign
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, Non-profits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
You are part data enthusiast, part process improvement extraordinaire. You can quickly identify and understand customer pain points, validate with data, develop problem statements, and define possible solutions that meet customer needs and business objectives. You understand how to improve processes by finding creative solutions for complex business challenges. You focus intently on the customer and are not afraid to challenge convention in pursuit of better user experience. Finally, you “love the problem” and thrive in delivering solutions in a high growth, high scale environment.
- Discovery and assessment of product opportunities
- Research, user studies, and competitive analysis to understand user needs for a feature or product
- Collaborating with operations, design, data science, and engineering stakeholders to understand problems and deliver solutions
- Developing experiments that influence definition of a feature that adds customer value.
- Developing queries, creating end-user reports, and applying varying analytical techniques to solve specific business problems.
- Mapping internal processes to identify opportunities for efficiency improvements, with an emphasis on automation and scalability
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a related field - Business/Finance, STEM, Ecology/Forestry - or equivalent experience.
- PM experience: 6+ years of experience owning product roadmap for a breakthrough product through multiple iterations.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Proven ability to break down and solve complex problems in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to think and act both strategically and tactically.
- Data-driven: Experience defining metrics and running experiments and testing
- Exposure to UAS, knowledge of requirements and regulations, and/or FAA Part 107 certified are a plus.
- Knowledge or experience in forestry, environmental science, or a related field is a plus.
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We’re focused on our mission and making a positive impact on the environment. Leadership & Board: 7 of 8 leadership identify as either non-male, LGBTQ+, person of color, minority, immigrant, or veteran. Three of seven board members identify as female or a person of color. These aspects (and our hiring process) are what have led us to have an awesome office culture and highly collaborative team. In addition, we believe taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. Life outside of work matters. DroneSeed has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need.
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work at DroneSeed HQ in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA. This position will require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to DroneSeed versus other opportunities. DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of rapidly scaling our People and Culture function, we’d love to speak with you.