Head of Finance, FP&A
Seattle, Washington /
Finance – FP&A /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. DroneSeed is transforming a 300-million-acre global landscape deforested since the 1990s. It would take 300-years to replant this deficit with current tools.
Our technology speeds up the process. DroneSeed uses heavy-lift drone swarms to reforest at scale after 🔥. We cut time to reforest from 3 years to 3 months. We’ve pioneered the drones and the backend required to operate swarms as a delivery solution over rough terrain. We survey sites and deliver to targeted areas of soil proprietary seed vessels that boost seed survival. Utilizing carbon credits, we double landowner investment in 18 months addressing the financial barriers to reforestation.
HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Director, Account Management), Matthew Aghai (Sr. Director, Bio R&D), Arnoud de Villegas (Sr. Director, Business Development)
Team Size: ~75
Market: $272B Carbon Credit Market (Refinitiv Analysis)
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, the Bureau of Land Management
What you’ll be doing:
Your objective as head of financial planning and analysis (FP&A) is to provide accurate, timely financial analysis and insight to inform strategy and decision making by organizational leadership. This role reports to the VP Ops & Finance.
As part of a rapidly growing business immersed in building commercial solutions to societal challenges, you will have a unique opportunity to construct a dedicated, "in-house" FP&A function to help drive the financial considerations of DroneSeed strategy.
Working closely with our Financial Controller, you will develop a deep understanding of the fundamentals that drive our business. You can expect to regularly collaborate with team leaders to assist with modeling and projecting out financial projections, and monitoring their ongoing performance.
- Examine, analyze, and evaluate the entirety of the company’s financial activities, and map out the company’s financial future.
- Provide multi-year financial modeling and develop the annual target-setting process with stakeholders.
- Interpret strategic targets into comprehensive annual operating and capital budgets.
- Lead the financial management function to ensure delivery of annual budget and cash flow stability.
- Liaise with revenue-generating teams to assist with project economic considerations
- Building out - and documenting - financial BAU processes and establishing culture of excellence
- Communicating financial performance to relevant stakeholders
- Support special projects that will grow our business while reducing financial risks.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or related field.
- 8+ years of experience in finance or accounting with the majority spent in FP&A
- Experience managing full P&L of unit/region/company
- Team leadership experience within finance and/or accounting
- Experience managing teams of finance professionals
- Excellent analytical/quantitative skills: Must be able to parse large sets of data
- Concise, clear and engaging written and presentation skills, delivered with strong executive presence
- Requires little direction, self-starter, must be able to work autonomously
- Improves and simplifies processes, drives standardization, and builds scalable systems.
- Influence others, insist on the highest standards, challenge the status quo.
- Embrace rapid change
A plus if you also have:
- Advanced graduate degree (MBA) and/or CFA / CMA
- Management consulting or investment banking experience
- Database query skills (e.g., SQL) and/or coding for spreadsheet automation (e.g., Google Apps Script, VBA, Python, etc.)
- 0->1 Experiences (i.e. startups where comfortable wearing multiple hats)
Benefits of working at DroneSeed: We’re focused on our mission and making a positive impact on the environment. You’ll be a part of a leadership team where 4 of 5 members are from diverse groups. These aspects (and our hiring process) are what have led us to have an awesome office culture and highly collaborative team. In addition, we believe taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. Life outside of work matters. DroneSeed has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need - we don’t track vacation or sick time.
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work at DroneSeed HQ in the Ballard Brewery District of Seattle, WA. This position will require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to DroneSeed versus other opportunities. DroneSeed is an equal-opportunity employer and we are committed to building a diverse team. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of helping us rapidly scale our finance capabilities, we’d love to speak with you.