Sr. Accountant - Silvaseed Company
Roy, Washington /
Finance – Accounting /
Our mission is simple: Make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change. Trees are highly effective at carbon removal, but scaling reforestation has significant obstacles--and that gets our team fired up about how we can build solutions using technology. We’ve built DroneSeed, and acquired and combined it with 130-year-old Silvaseed to be a one-stop-shop for reforestation and remove obstacles at each of four steps:
- Seed. Natural regeneration after wildfire is in decline due to climate change resulting in larger fires of higher severity. These factors eliminate seed stored in the soil for regeneration. This creates challenges for seed supply. To respond we’ve expanded Silvaseed to become the largest private seed bank in the west and the first call for land managers affected by fire.
- Grow space. There’s not enough nursery greenhouse capacity to grow seedlings (link). We’re currently growing millions of seedlings per year at Silvaseed and, while we’re doubling that output, we’re creating a replicable method to scale further.
- Better tools for labor. We need better tools to accomplish more reforestation faster. DroneSeed is utilizing heavy lift drone swarms to deliver seed vessels after wildfire and boost seed establishment in combination with seedlings that are interplanted later.
- Finance. For the last 20 years, carbon offsets haven’t provided capital for the high-up front costs of reforestation. Landowners have had to rely on limited grant funding. Repayment periods were 25 years or more and reforestation projects were exceedingly rare. That changed two years ago when third-party certifier Climate Action Reserve (CAR) announced the Climate Forward protocol to conservatively forecast the carbon tonne removals as reforested trees grow. DroneSeed is developing one of the first projects using this protocol. This and future projects following the protocol will be protected by legal easements on replanted and re-seeded land, monitored by state-accredited land trusts, and have insurance buffer pools in place in case fire occurs again. Under the CAR protocol, DroneSeed is generating the most transparent, highest-quality forestry-based carbon offsets on the market from reforestation projects.
We need to overcome these four reforestation challenges to build back--even a fraction of--the forests we lose from wildfires every year. That's why we set out to build a model to make reforestation scaleable, which requires expanding the supply chain systems and financial flywheels behind them. That is the mission: make reforestation scalable to mitigate the worst effects of climate change.
DroneSeed HQ: Ballard Brewery District, Seattle, WA
Silvaseed HQ: Roy, WA
Team Size: ~100
Leadership Team: Grant Canary (CEO), Ben Reilly (CTO), John Hall (VP Ops & Finance), Cassie Meigs (Director of Account Management), Matthew Aghai (Senior Director of Bio R&D), Arnoud de Villegas (Senior Director of Business Development), Katherine Wong-Velasco (Director of Talent Acquisition) and Mary Caroline Pruitt (Senior Director of Marketing & Communications)
Notable Investors: Marc Tarpenning co-founder Tesla, Tobi Lutke CEO Shopify, Alexis Ohanian co-founder Reddit, Marc Benioff, Court Lorenzini 1st CEO DocuSign
Revenue: Data will be shared with qualified candidates
Clients: 3 of 5 largest timber companies, Non-profits such as The Nature Conservancy, Tribal Nations, state and federal agencies, small family forests
What you’ll be doing:
The role of Sr. Accountant will serve as Silvaseed’s lead accountant, responsible for both accounting and financial reporting. On the accounting side, you will be responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and conducting the monthly close such as preparing and reviewing journal entries and preparing and reviewing monthly reconciliations. On the financial reporting side, you will ensure recorded financial data is complete and accurate, and transactions are recorded on time, and within the rules set by our company policy and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). When there’s a discrepancy in the books, you will spot it, figure out what happened, and follow up with stakeholders. Additionally, you will have the responsibility of overseeing the financial statement production on a monthly basis, general ledger management and ensuring that the chart of accounts is appropriate and cost allocations, and tax compliance as it relates to Federal, B&O, excise, state and local taxes. Finally, you will have ownership of the company’s expense policy and will be responsible to see team members are accountable. You will be the primary point of contact for the company’s outside accountants and work closely with the parent company's Financial Controller to optimize workload between internal and external teams.
- Implementing the unit cost standards for production and recommending changes
- Manage the inventory system including training staff in its operation.
- Interpreting strategic targets into comprehensive annual operating and capital budgets
- Designing and Implementing Internal Controls - separation of duties, approval of disbursement, and in the future any SOXs requirements.
- Manage the accounting team including internal accounting employees and/or outside contractors.
- Handling the following accounting functions: AR, AP, GL, financial reporting, and payroll activities.
- Closing process and financial statement production: month and year-end, make journal entries, reconciliations, check GL for coding errors, oversee staff, assemble a monthly financial packet for 3Ps.
- Working with FP&A and any asks of our parent company to support analysis, sales and profit analysis, monthly operation results to budget, variance (month, year), calculate operating metrics and recommend ways to measure company performance based on financial results.
- Monitoring cash flow across accounts, cash flow forecasts, cash transfers and wires when necessary.
- Budgeting and forecasting: work with FP&A to prepare.
- Acting as the central point of contact for auditors, handling tax prep and annual financial audits for financials, fixed asset information, and tax returns sign-off.
- Assuming responsibility for the accuracy and timeliness of all tax returns: sales, payroll, property, excise, W2/1099.
- Working cross-functionally with leadership: reviewing financial statements with managers, discussing variances, helping understand trends that impact teams, and responding to requests from senior management.
- Ensure compliance with ASC 606.
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
- 5+ years progressive, hands-on accounting experience in fast-paced and changing business environments.
- Strong technical GAAP experience, with public accounting experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience.
- Strong business acumen, attention to detail, and highly analytical mindset.
- Experience with ASC 606 revenue recognition, ASC 705, ASC 842, and other relevant accounting standards codifications for high-growth manufacturing companies.
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system implementation/migration experience.
- Ability to be self-directed and work independently.
- Ability to analyze and handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to foster collaborative relationships across the organization.
- Excellent written and presentation skills with strong executive presence.
- Knack for improving and simplifying processes, driving standardization, and building scalable systems.
- Proven track record of influencing others, insisting on the highest standards, and challenging the status quo.
- Openness to embracing rapid change.
A plus if you also have:
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- MBA, CMA, or similar advanced degree.
- Experience in public accounting.
- Background in the manufacturing industry.
- Experience setting up an accounting function from scratch.
- 0->1 Experiences (i.e. startups where comfortable wearing multiple hats).
Benefits of working at Silvaseed: We believe taking care of your health comes first. We cover 75% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums. Life outside of work matters. Silvaseed has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need.
Other Information: Candidates must be eligible to work at Silvaseed HQ in Roy, WA. This position may require travel domestically (US) and abroad, therefore requiring the candidate to have a US driver’s license as well as a passport and status conducive to international travel. In any application cover letter, please highlight what motivated you to reach out to Silvaseed versus other opportunities. If you’re deeply committed to our mission and capable of helping us rapidly scale our accounting capabilities, we’d love to speak with you.