Site Reliability Engineer
Engineering – SRE
We are making travel effortless. Join us.
Whether it’s to visit the people closest to us, starting an exciting adventure, or a career-defining business trip, travel is an essential part of our lives. Yet we've all experienced the aches and pains of getting to our destination. Today, more than 4 billion airline passengers rely on technology that hasn't kept up with the expectations of the modern connected traveller.
That’s why we’ve started to rebuild the infrastructure that underpins the travel industry. We’re on a mission to unravel travel — simplifying systems and building the tools that will make the future of travel effortless.
We were part of Y Combinator S18's cohort and we are backed by Benchmark, Blossom, Index Ventures and Kima Ventures. A fantastic set of investors that has helped build some of the world's largest companies.
Our team in London is growing and we’re looking for talented people to join us on our journey.
Engineering at Duffel
We're a small team building tools to simplify travel distribution, search and booking. What does this actually mean? It's one common and seamless API. This brings huge technical challenges as we need to design and build a beautiful API before integrating to hundreds of airlines. Along with that we need to navigate through the differing needs and systems of each airline whilst building a fantastic developer experience to go with it.
The tools used on the team include Elixir, Phoenix, Kubernetes, Terraform, PostgreSQL and more from Google Cloud Platform.
You'll be working with the rest of our engineering team but you'll be the first dedicated Site Reliability Engineer at Duffel.
What we're looking for in you
- An enthusiasm for software development and systems engineering.
- An interest in working with Elixir, this is what we mostly work with. Previous experience isn't necessary and learning on the job is absolutely fine. What's more important is your general engineering ability rather than your knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- A high bar in code quality, infrastructure and database design.
- Good understanding of operational and observability practices.
- Big picture thinking - you can make trade offs on technical work streams against business impact.
- Fantastic communication skills. You're able to articulate what you're working on and why to the team in a clear and structured way.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment. You believe in your own methods but keep an open mind, taking suggestions and feedback onboard as well.
- Be part of on-call responsibilities with a focus on postmortem writing, reviewing and resolution for long-term health of our systems.
What you'll be working on
- Provide better metrics retention and availability.
- Continuous process to provide better Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery experience.
- Upgrade our PostgreSQL databases to the latest version with minimal downtime.
- Help maintain and deliver our data pipelines in Google Cloud Platform.
- Provide in-depth reliability expertise and operational excellence on a daily basis to the rest of our software engineers.
- Build and maintain tooling to enable us to better cope with our infrastructure.
What you can expect from us
We’re dedicated to your personal growth. Our environment is comfortable physically, but also in that our ears are always open to any ideas, concerns and questions. We believe that everyone should have pride in their work, taking full ownership of it and its impact. That’s why everyone who joins Duffel owns a share of the company.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We believe that the key to our success is employing a diverse team, that’s why recruitment decisions are only based on your experience and skills. We value your ability to problem solve and build amazing things so we welcome applications for everyone – regardless of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Note to recruitment agencies
Duffel does not accept speculative CV's from external parties. Any unsolicited CV's sent to us will be treated as property of Duffel, and any attached terms and conditions associated with these CV's will be null and void.