Engineering – Data
We are making travel effortless. Join us.
Whether it’s to visit the people closest to us, starting an exciting adventure, or a career-defining business trip, travel is an essential part of our lives. Yet we've all experienced the aches and pains of getting to our destination. Today, more than 4 billion airline passengers rely on technology that hasn't kept up with the expectations of the modern connected traveller.
That’s why we’ve started to rebuild the infrastructure that underpins the travel industry. We’re on a mission to unravel travel — simplifying systems and building the tools that will make the future of travel effortless.
We were part of Y Combinator S18's cohort and we are backed by Benchmark, Blossom, Index Ventures and Kima Ventures. A fantastic set of investors that has helped build some of the world's largest companies.
Our team in London is growing and we’re looking for talented people to join us on our journey.
Data at Duffel
The team is in charge of all data-related questions, and its mission is to leverage data into an asset across the entire organisation. As analysts, scientists, or engineers, we are responsible for the entire lifecycle: from its collection to its analysis, from its aggregation to the productisation of complex models.
As a data-engineer, you will mainly be working on building and managing Duffel's processing infrastructure, in order to enable data-driven decision making and feed data-science algorithms.
You will mainly be working with Python & Elixir, and will use state of the art technologies (Airflow, Neo4j, Kubernetes, Terraform, the Google Cloud Suite - with PubSub, GCS, BigQuery, DataStore, DataFlow, etc).
What we're looking for in you
- MS or PhD in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a highly quantitative field
- A passion for data as a whole: you'll be the first person to join what's been a standalone team so far. You will be exposed to all types of data challenges.
- Experience developing, maintaining and scaling processes end-to-end, from collection to analysis, as well as managing pipelines & algorithms.
- Opinions on what good data & engineering standards and processes look like as we define ours at Duffel.
- Fantastic communication skills. You're able to articulate what you're working on and why to the wider team in a clear and structured way.
- You can leverage heterogeneous data into a business asset for Duffel.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment. You believe in your own methods but keep an open mind, taking suggestions and feedback onboard as well.
- You never lose sight of the big picture, and can make technical trade offs against business impact.
What you will focus on
- Designing and maintaining the pipelines and models powering our analytics and products.
- Building the optimal data infrastructure for scale.
- Keeping our data lake and warehouse organised, available and safe.
- Maintaining and scaling our analytics solutions (infrastructure & content).
- Identifying needs from the various Duffel teams, and fulfilling them, to enable data-driven decisions.
What you can expect from us
We’re dedicated to your personal growth. Our environment is comfortable physically, but also in that our ears are always open to any ideas, concerns and questions. We believe that everyone should have pride in their work, taking full ownership of it and its impact. That’s why everyone who joins Duffel owns a share of the company.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We believe that the key to our success is employing a diverse team, that’s why recruitment decisions are only based on your experience and skills. We value your ability to problem solve and build amazing things so we welcome applications for everyone – regardless of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Note to recruitment agencies
Duffel does not accept speculative CV's from external parties. Any unsolicited CV's sent to us will be treated as property of Duffel, and any attached terms and conditions associated with these CV's will be null and void.