Play a key role in analyzing data to improve how people learn.
As a Data Scientist at Duolingo, you will be a pivotal member of our engineering staff by analyzing data to dissect and improve how people learn using our products. The data analyst will be a meticulous, curious, and analytic individual who has a passion of diving into data, organizing it, and using A/B tests to understand how our users learn.
- Actively analyze, gain insight from, and understand user data to make queries and reports about learning
- Receive questions from Duolingo product teams, understand them, and determine the data and analyses needed to answer them
- Produce strategic insights to help improve the user experience and learning experience
- Identify and clearly articulate insights drawn from data, present findings and recommendations
- Help design and develop A/B tests for Duolingo product teams, and obtain necessary data from them
- Be actively involved in the development of of our analytics tools for A/B testing, segmentation, and funnel analysis
- Advise teams about data capturing needs
- Document analysis methodologies, conclusions, and actions taken based on data
- BS in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics
- 2+ years of experience in the game industry, or similarly sophisticated customer-facing digital business
- Experience with SQL and working with data warehouses
- Good understanding of statistical analysis; experience with statistical packages such as R, MATLAB, SPSS, SAS, Stata, etc.
- Experience with the programming languages Python and Java
- Excellent communication skills
- Be able to work effectively with people at various levels of engineering within Duolingo
Exceptional candidates will have
- PhD in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Mathematics, or Statistics
- Experience in predictive analytics, segmentation, and related areas
- Experience in experimental design
- Experience in “big data” systems such as Hadoop, Hive, Redshift, BigQuery
Duolingo is the world's largest online language learning service. Our apps were selected by Apple as "iPhone App of the Year", and by Google as “Best of the Best for Android," 2 years in a row. TechCrunch selected Duolingo as the Best Educational Startup in their annual awards. Unlike other online education platforms, Duolingo is a completely digital experience, meaning it requires constant interaction and is native to computers / mobile platforms.
Duolingo is a spinoff from Carnegie Mellon University's School of Computer Science. Luis von Ahn, co-founder and CEO of Duolingo, is a MacArthur fellow, Carnegie Mellon University professor, and the inventor of CAPTCHA. Duolingo was founded by engineers and is run by engineers. We hire ambitious people from various technical backgrounds who enjoy solving some of the world's most fascinating technological problems and improving education levels on a global scale. About 35% of our engineering team holds a PhD in computer science or a related field. In April 2016, Andrew Moore, CMU Computer Science Dean joined Duolingo’s board.
In the last three years, Duolingo has received US$83 million of funding from some of the premier venture capital firms in the country, including Union Square Ventures (investors of Twitter, Kickstarter, Foursquare, Tumblr), New Enterprise Associates (investors of Vonage, Silicon Graphics, Box), Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers (investors of Google, Amazon, Electronic Arts, America Online, Compaq, Sun), and Google Capital.