Software Engineer, Android
An Android expert who will help millions of people learn on a mobile device.
Duolingo software engineers develop next-generation education technology that changes how over 120 million people around the world learn. We’re looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas in computer science, including natural language processing, machine learning, large-scale system design, and iOS & Android mobile app development.
As an Android software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Duolingo’s needs, with opportunities to switch teams and projects as our fast-paced startup grows and evolves. You will develop applications primarily in Java and using the Android SDK.
We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to tackle new problems across the full-stack as we continue to innovate.
- Collaborate on software projects with product design and backend aspects
- Develop, release, and maintain native Android applications
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- A solid foundation in computer science with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design
- Programming experience in Java
- Experience in mobile application development
Exceptional candidates will have
- 5 years of programming experience in Java
- Considerable programming experience using Android Studio and the Android SDK
- Proficient in the following technologies: Java language and related frameworks, multi-threading and memory management specific to mobile devices, understanding of caching mechanisms
- Experience designing clean and maintainable APIs
- Experience with multithreaded programming
- Experience writing unit tests and testable code
- Daily, catered family-style lunches, snacks and drinks
- Flexible hours and fun work environment
- Beautiful new office
- Gym reimbursement
- Education fund
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- 401(k) w/company matching
- Generous medical, dental and vision coverage to fit your needs
- 20 days of paid time off, plus two week winter break
- Relocation package
- 13 weeks paid maternity leave, 4 weeks paid paternity leave
Duolingo is the world's largest online language learning service. Our apps were selected by Apple as "iPhone App of the Year", and by Google as “Best of the Best for Android," 2 years in a row. TechCrunch selected Duolingo as the Best Educational Startup in their annual awards. Unlike other online education platforms, Duolingo is a completely digital experience, meaning it requires constant interaction and is native to computers / mobile platforms.
Duolingo is a spinoff from Carnegie Mellon University's School of Computer Science. Luis von Ahn, co-founder and CEO of Duolingo, is a MacArthur fellow, Carnegie Mellon University professor, and the inventor of CAPTCHA. Duolingo was founded by engineers and is run by engineers. We hire ambitious people from various technical backgrounds who enjoy solving some of the world's most fascinating technological problems and improving education levels on a global scale. About 35% of our engineering team holds a PhD in computer science or a related field. In April 2016, Andrew Moore, CMU Computer Science Dean joined Duolingo’s board.
In the last three years, Duolingo has received US$83 million of funding from some of the premier venture capital firms in the country, including Union Square Ventures (investors of Twitter, Kickstarter, Foursquare, Tumblr), New Enterprise Associates (investors of Vonage, Silicon Graphics, Box), Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers (investors of Google, Amazon, Electronic Arts, America Online, Compaq, Sun), and Google Capital.