Estimator / Senior Buyer
San Diego, CA
At Dvele, we’re changing what it means to live. Your home is the most personalized product on the planet and is the environment in which you spend most of your life. Dvelings measurably improve the health and happiness of its inhabitants while positively impacting the world at large. We achieve this through the application of design, science, technology and years of experience to evolve the way homes are created.
Join our team, help build an amazing company and create the next evolution of home. You’ll be an early team member in a well funded “startup” that is already delivering on its promises of amazing homes that improve your health and our planet’s.
Estimator / Senior Buyer Job Description
Our ideal Estimator/Senior Buyer is a multi-tool player that will lead our estimating efforts and purchasing department initiatives across the Company. Our ideal candidate is a seasoned estimator with residential construction or pre-fab modular home building experience. This position is responsible for developing a Bill Of Materials (BOM) utilizing Revit software, interpreting blueprints and other design documents as part of the Material Take Off (MTO). Candidate will also be hands-on with purchasing all the required materials, including vendor management, sku & pricing maintenance. This position will help create and manage the entire purchasing process from start to finish. This is position will also be very close to project level costing with regards to materials costs & labor costs both internal & external, helping to drive continuous improvement in Dvele’s gross margin through product innovation and/or competitive pricing. This position will work with the Finance and Systems teams to help develop processes and systems around estimating and purchasing to scale us in the future.
The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the manager. Dvele is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Dvele, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
- Create all MTOs as home designs are completed and project is getting ready for release to production floor.
- Develop a complete BOM for each approved project and then execute all procurement activities in accordance with guidance from Design, Project Management (PM) and Production teams.
- Work with production manager and project managers to ensure all materials are available when needed either at the factory or at the project site.
- Manage vendors in NetSuite system and create/maintain vendor relationships.
- Work directly with Executive team to vet and on-board new vendors, which may include sourcing raw materials from international vendors.
- Maintain database of part numbers (skus) in NetSuite system and all associated sku attributes such as pricing, quantities, units of measure, etc.
- Support PM & Quality Control (QC) teams in coordinating with external vendors to resolve product issues & warranty claims.
- Manage inventory levels at the factory to ensure efficient and effective utilization of raw materials while minimizing waste and driving gross margins. Manage physical inventory counts at required intervals.
- Work with Finance and System Teams to create and implement purchasing processes and systems to support scaled growth.
- Develop existing staff and new staff members as company grows. Be a leader that embraces our corporate culture and ensure department’s compliance to that culture.
- Travel estimated at 30%: travel will be required, mainly in the San Diego, LA, Orange county areas to visit manufacturing facility, project site visits, and vendor management.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Business or applicable field.
- Candidate should have at least 7 years’ experience in an estimating/purchasing capacity with a strong emphasis on residential home construction or pre-fab modular home building industry. Understanding and building of processes and systems through technology is a must. Some degree of import/export knowledge would be desirable but not required.
- Must be familiar with Revit software, residential construction design & structural blueprints. Pre-fab modular home construction experience is a plus.
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast -pace setting. Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.