Software Support Specialist
Burnaby, British Columbia /
Research & Development – Customer Service and Support /
D-Wave is looking for exceptionally motivated people who love to see the impact of their work, who are driven to ensure the success of the company, and who want to be a part of something special. We are working to radically change what is possible with computers and are leading the effort to commercialize quantum computing. This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual that thrives on making an impact not only with those they support, but through the company they are a part of.
D-Wave is the leader in quantum computing systems, software, and services and is the world’s first commercial supplier of quantum computers. Our web service, LeapTM, is the only cloud service that delivers real-time access to a quantum computer (currently the D-Wave 2000Q) and a full suite of open-source programming tools. Leap now has hybrid capabilities that combine the power of quantum and classical computers, analogous to the way a CPU works with a GPU, enabling the solution of very large problems. Software tools make programming easy, in languages like Python.
D-Wave’s customers have developed more than 200 early applications of our quantum system. With the combined capabilities of the next generation system, Advantage, and the recently introduced hybrid solvers, D-Wave’s customers will be able to deploy these capabilities to benefit their businesses.
The Software Support Specialist role:
D-Wave is seeking an exceptionally passionate and versatile professional to join our amazing Service & Support team to assist customers in new geographic regions as we continue to push our technology forward. In the upcoming year we will expand our services to offer customer support that overlaps with European time zones. This role will spearhead that expansion. You will be part of a team of smart, passionate engineers and computer scientists who care about going above and beyond to help people use our quantum computers.
In this role, you’ll be the go-to person for D-Wave’s European customer needs by triaging requests and providing front line customer support for D-Wave's user facing software tools and technologies. Your primary focus will be to support our Leap platform. In this role, you’ll use your excellent problem solving and communication skills to understand customer issues. You will work with the broader Service & Support team, as well as internal science teams, to find solutions to customer questions while building your own corpus of knowledge. This is not a role with a how-to handbook but you’ll have the support and knowledge of the whole company at your sides.
For the first 6 months you will work regular hours (e.g. 9am till 5pm pacific time), after that you will transition to a 4am to 12pm pacific time schedule, as that will allow you to better support our customers in the European continent. There are many different avenues for growth within this role, from building out our European Service & Support team to moving into other roles within the company.
In this role you will:
- Develop a broad knowledge of D-Wave’s software tools and how to use them
- Triage, troubleshoot, escalate and/or provide resolution to customer support requests
- Reproduce, document, and escalate issues to the appropriate internal team
- -Identify commonly asked questions and contribute to our knowledge base articles, FAQs and demos for our customers (https://support.dwavesys.com/hc/en-us)
- Identify, define and document internal procedures
- Learn about the needs and expectations of our European customer base
- May be asked to work flexible hours during busy periods
You will bring to this role:
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Awesome problem-solving skills, ideally with some experience providing technical support
- Experience programming, ideally in Python, with experience debugging someone else’s code
- Enjoy learning about math, physics, engineering, and software topics
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in computer science, a STEM field, or 5 years relevant work experience
Bonus! One or more of these additional qualifications would be awesome but not necessary:
- Experience with Linux
- Project management
- Interest in business analytics
In your cover letter tell us what you think is important when providing customer service to a new geographic location!
D-Wave is passionate about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, identities and experiences. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or provincial law.